• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Awkward Abbey Mortgage Q

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awkward Abbey Mortgage Q

not contract related but I thought i'd pose the q to the panel:

Situation
    - Sister wants to buy a property for £130k
    - sister has a mortgage arranged (abbey national) for 90k

Question
    If i gift my sister 40k as a deposit on the mortgage, will she have to pay tax on the money received? I am assuming so, is there any other way around it?

I trust my sister and dont need a legal setup, joint ownership of the house or anything like that, i simply want to give her 40k as I'm a nice brother.

Abbey are saying that i cannot gift her the money as i will have a claim of ownerhsip over the house.. i cant see what it has to do with them, why do they care where the deposit is coming from initially.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Stick it in her mattress...you do not have to tell the bank where you got the money from do you?
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

didn't she win £40k (tax free) on a scratch card? I'm sure that's what happened.

Comment

can you not 'loan' the money?... surely there must be a way, think of how many parents give their kids loads of money to help them on the property ladder??
        The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
          can you not 'loan' the money?... surely there must be a way, think of how many parents give their kids loads of money to help them on the property ladder??
          I was thinking along the same lines. How you negotiate the repayment with your sister is entirely up to you. £133.33 a month for 25 years with a 6 month grace period (negotiated)? I think there is a limit to how much you can gift money to someone without incurring some form of tax liability on someone (or both parties).
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post

Situation

Question
            If i gift my sister 40k as a deposit on the mortgage, will she have to pay tax on the money received? I am assuming so, is there any other way around it?

I trust my sister and dont need a legal setup, joint ownership of the house or anything like that, i simply want to give her 40k as I'm a nice brother.

Abbey are saying that i cannot gift her the money as i will have a claim of ownerhsip over the house.. i cant see what it has to do with them, why do they care where the deposit is coming from initially.
            There may be rules about tax free gifts between connected persons. But AIUI, so long as you don't die within 7 years of making the gift, there's no tax to pay.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
              Mortgage application asks where any extra money is coming from and if any of it is loaned.

I think you'll need to give her the £40k simply as a present (not specifically for the house).

There seems to be no tax implications as long as you survive for over 7 years after gifting her the money
              http://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/discuss.php?id=9861
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post

Situation

Question

Do you want a brother? I could do with 40k too.

If you gift her 40k then she has no tax to pay. For the purposes of the mortgage etc. it's irrelevant. It's not extra money or borrowed money. It's HER money. Ensure you make sure it is noted as a gift in a document to her - there must be no strings attached whatsoever - otherwise it is a gift with reservation which could cause problems later.

There should be no tax implications on her. However there are tax implications on YOU.

It is a "potentially exempt transfer" for the purposes of inheritance tax. Thus if you survive 7 years you are home free. If you don't then your estate will be assessed for IHT on value of estate at death + 40k less allowances depending on number of years since gift.

If the estate is able to pay the IHT bill then fine. If it is now a bankrupt estate then the revenue can in theory chase recipients of the gifts which were still only PET's at the time of death.

I suggest searching fool.co.uk might be wise.

forgot to mention: If you go loopy next week and need a care home etc then the assessing authorities for care can take the view that you have wilfully depleted your capital, this again shouldn't cause a problem for your sister - they will just assess your contribution as though you still had the 40k.
                Last edited by ASB; 21 August 2008, 11:22.

Comment

many thanks folks,

some useful advice
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                  X