• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work through ltd for 3 month contract only?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work through ltd for 3 month contract only?

Is it worth me running a company for a 3 month contract only? I only plan to be in the UK until December and have a new contract lined up, although it will be within IR35. My last contract has been through PAYE so I don't have a ltd set up.

So in light of this, is it worth me opening my ownl ltd company just for this contract or am I better off avoiding the hassle and just going through an umbrella?

Cheers!
    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Originally posted by beaker View Post
    Is it worth me running a company for a 3 month contract only? I only plan to be in the UK until December and have a new contract lined up, although it will be within IR35. My last contract has been through PAYE so I don't have a ltd set up.

So in light of this, is it worth me opening my ownl ltd company just for this contract or am I better off avoiding the hassle and just going through an umbrella?

Cheers!
    In this scenario, and only this scenario, I would say Umbrella is the way to go.

Comment

For three months? You know the answer, don't you....

Do the sums; the difference in return between YourCo inside IR35 and brolly is no more than 5%, probably a bit less given the overheads of setup. Unless you're looking at a £100k contract, go brolly
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Yep, brolly is the way to go with this one.

David.
        Low cost accountancy solutions for contractors

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          In this scenario, and only this scenario, I would say Umbrella is the way to go.
          WHS
          "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

What they said.
            Also bear in mind the hassle of closing the company. Believe me, it's a lot harder to close a Ltd. than to start one.
            Bored.

Comment

... and your accountant will need to prepare final accounts when you close it, for which they will charge you more than you might think you saved on just going PAYE probably..
              Make your choice. Let the game begin.

Comment

Thanks everyone! That's what I thought, but if you never ask... well...
                Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                  Is it worth me running a company for a 3 month contract only?!
                  No. Next.

Comment

Working...
                  X