• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

mileage matters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mileage matters

Hello everybody. I'm trying to work out my mileage costs for my self assessment and I want to do it right. I'm a one man band (elastictrician) and want to know the IR's definition of "commuting". Does travelling to your place of work count if you have to lug your tools around in the back of your van to a different place nearly every day, or is that business mileage. p.s. the new S.A. form sucks

WTF is an 'elastictrician'

From your description your travelling is probably allowable against tax, but you should hire an accountant to sort your finances. He will almost certainly save you a more money than he costs and greatly reduce any hassle from the taxman.

Comment

electrician. one man BAND, hence elastic.

Comment

That's really really bad. I like it.

btw - it's most likely that you're travelling from temporary location to temporary location, so it's all business miles. You only stop claiming if you're doing (or know that you will be doing) sparky stuff at the same location for more than two years (more than 40% of the time).
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Thanks for that. All I've got to do now is to convince the wife that I can't claim for the journey home.

Comment

Working...
          X