• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

National Insurance contributions - Directors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Insurance contributions - Directors

Is this any different from normal NI deducations?

Example scenario:

Company has 2 directors. Both are paid salaries that are on the ET ( £5435 or 453/month ). The rest of their earnings are derived from dividends. HMRC talks about total earnings ( including bonuses ). Is dividends seen as part of total earnings by HMRC?

If i am right, under "normal" NI deductions, the £5435 pays 0% NI same as the tax part? Correct if I am wrong.

Question is asked as I know someone thats has the above situation but one director got a letter from Hector asking for NI for past 13 weeks ( at £2.30/week I think ), the other didnt get one. So slightly confused??

Originally posted by skelm View Post
    Is this any different from normal NI deducations?

Example scenario:

Company has 2 directors. Both are paid salaries that are on the ET ( £5435 or 453/month ). The rest of their earnings are derived from dividends. HMRC talks about total earnings ( including bonuses ). Is dividends seen as part of total earnings by HMRC?

If i am right, under "normal" NI deductions, the £5435 pays 0% NI same as the tax part? Correct if I am wrong.

Question is asked as I know someone thats has the above situation but one director got a letter from Hector asking for NI for past 13 weeks ( at £2.30/week I think ), the other didnt get one. So slightly confused??
    You are right about the 0% NI for directors. The fixed £2.30 a week sounds more like the NI for self-employed people (class 2 NI I think)

Comment

I know that director's NIC is slightly different from ordinary employees. I don't know the exact details but for the last tax year, the HMRC CD software did an end-of-year calculation before closing off the P11.

QB.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyBerty View Post
        I know that director's NIC is slightly different from ordinary employees. I don't know the exact details but for the last tax year, the HMRC CD software did an end-of-year calculation before closing off the P11.

QB.
        The NI rate is the same. But directors don't pay until their pay reaches the threshold, whereas employees pay immediately on a pro-rata basis. e.g. If a director is paid £10K per year, a director won't start paying NI until about 6 months into the year, whereas an employee will pay on the first month.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
          The NI rate is the same. But directors don't pay until their pay reaches the threshold, whereas employees pay immediately on a pro-rata basis. e.g. If a director is paid £10K per year, a director won't start paying NI until about 6 months into the year, whereas an employee will pay on the first month.
          That was my initial thought, hence why I figured that anything upto the ET ( 5435 ) was nil ( I guess one could pay voluntary contributions if one wanted to )

Got confused by the 2.30/week which indeed looks like the self - employed figure. However wondered why one director got the letter yet other didn't.

On a tangent, what needs to be done for one of them to resign as a director and become Co Sec still keeping their shares? I assume companieshouse have a form of sorts.

Comment

On a tangent, what needs to be done for one of them to resign as a director and become Co Sec still keeping their shares? I assume companieshouse have a form of sorts.
            Yeah there is a director resignation form and a company secretary form. Note you no longer need to have a company secretary.

Comment

Director's NI is worked out on an annual (pro-rated) basis, whereas employee's is done on a per payment (weekly/monthly) basis.

You can set up the employer's CD so it pays it every month, and then recalculates at the end of the year, if you'd prefer to even out the payments.

Comment

Yeah there is a director resignation form and a company secretary form. Note you no longer need to have a company secretary.
                Agreed you longer need to have a Co Sec. But is it not a more tax efficient way to operate if you also pay them the ET ( 5435 ) and have them as a shareholder so dividends can be paid as well?

E.g Director has minimum salary( 5435 ) + say 60% shares for dividends
                Co Sec also gets minimum salary( 5435 ) + 40% shares for divis

So nearly 11 K is tax free??

Comment

Agreed you longer need to have a Co Sec. But is it not a more tax efficient way to operate if you also pay them the ET ( 5435 ) and have them as a shareholder so dividends can be paid as well?

E.g Director has minimum salary( 5435 ) + say 60% shares for dividends
                  Co Sec also gets minimum salary( 5435 ) + 40% shares for divis

So nearly 11 K is tax free??
                  With 50/50 dividends you get potential even more.

Comment

With 50/50 dividends you get potential even more.
                    Agreed .... but my theory is not flawed is it??

Will that mean only 1 SA ( for director ) to be filled .... or does Co Sec also need this to be done.

Comment

Working...
                    X