• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

National Insurance contributions - Directors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skelm View Post
    Agreed .... but my theory is not flawed is it??

Will that mean only 1 SA ( for director ) to be filled .... or does Co Sec also need this to be done.
    Having a company secretary is pretty much irrelevant with regards to salaries and dividends. You can pay your partner a salary for book keeping for example. If your partner doesn't work the most efficient payment is £5K each and a 50/50 dividend split. You don't need to split shares based on contribution to business or anything like that. You might however want to consider a higher salary (say £10K) which a lot of accountants recommend due to minimum wage (discussed to death search previous threads).

Being a company secretary doesn't require you to complete a Self Assesment Form but being paid lots of dividends does, so partner will almost certainly need to complete form (not sure of dividend threshold but it isn't very high).

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
      The NI rate is the same. But directors don't pay until their pay reaches the threshold, whereas employees pay immediately on a pro-rata basis. e.g. If a director is paid £10K per year, a director won't start paying NI until about 6 months into the year, whereas an employee will pay on the first month.
      OK but you get a choice of paying later or pay-as-you-go. I'm set up for the latter.

QB.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyBerty View Post
        OK but you get a choice of paying later or pay-as-you-go. I'm set up for the latter.

QB.
        Do you get a choice? I don't know. I following the NI rules for a director not an employee. There are benefits to this and none for doing it the other way around.

Comment

Working...
        X