• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT on expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT on expenses

I have a question regarding VAT on expenses.

My engagement with the end client is as below:

My Ltd ---> EB ---> Svc Co ---> Client Co.

At the end of the month, any expenses incurred for that month are totted up and submitted to the Svc Co via their online system and then subsequently billed to the EB for payment.

As I am not VAT registered, I don't enter any VAT in the Svc Co. system or on my invoice to the EB.

Svc Co now saying the following:

"All invoices received are vatable. However, you will only ever receive the net value as the VAT is absorbed by the service co".

i.e. my expense claims should include a VAT element.

Worried that if I do this, it will be fraud as I am not VAT registered.

Sounds like they don't know what they are talking about so thought I would pose the question here.

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Sounds like they don't know what they are talking about so thought I would pose the question here.
    You don't charge VAT.

Seems what they are trying to do is:

Expense of £100
    Vat of £17.50

Total = £117.50

They are saying you invoice: £100 + your vat of £17.50 = £117.50

Instead of £117.50 + VAT = £138.06

Simple!

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

Worried that if I do this, it will be fraud as I am not VAT registered.
      There's your answer. If you are not VAT registered, you cannot charge nor reclaim VAT. End of... What other people do wth your costs are not your concern.

Except, of course, if your gross turnover is above £75k (?? I think - check the limit) you have to be VAT registered.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
      X