• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help For Newbie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help For Newbie

Solution Received
    Last edited by Shuttle; 23 August 2005, 17:31.

I am currently earning £61.89 per day
    Is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
      Is this correct?
      Yes.

Comment

You need to move your question over to accounting/legal you'll just get the piss taken out of you in General.

Ask the agency for a schedule of your earnings/deductions
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Agreed...

...stay here and people will be asking (rather rudely) why you're in a contractual arrangement you don't understand

Start again in the better forum. And don't be afraid to name the agency and (more importantly) the umbrella - we can't work out their game plan if we don't know who they are.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I suggest that you come to an arrangement with a local accountant to audit one month's figures for you. It will cost you a bit but at least you will know with some degree of confidence where you stand. Maybe one of the accountants who frequent this board will be kind enough to offer this service to you for a reasonable fixed fee?

Be aware that any monkey business to do with expenses that involves you not actually incurring the expense and where there is a notable absence of receipts is highly likely to be vigorously contested by HMCR when they come visiting. Of course, it will be you that picks up the bill, not your brolly. Be careful out there!

Comment

Solution Received
              Last edited by Shuttle; 23 August 2005, 17:31. Reason: Solution Received

Comment

re-ask in accounting

Shuttle,

General is a board which takes a fair amount of robust banter - not as bad as the old board - but enough. You will find that many of the more serious posters dont bother to look in here as often as they do Business / Accounting / Technical, although god knows things seem sloooooow here at the moment.

You need to say who the agent and brolly are so that we know what they do.

What work do you do out of interest - that is not a very good rate.

Im not sure who the mods are now, I was on the old board, but I haven't used this one much and I dont know who can move stuff these days.

Comment

don't worry - it can stay where it is.
                  it is a very convoluted description you have given and most of us are tired after a hard day surfing. does your contract not stipulate an hourly rate? when did your contract begin? how long to run? why did you not set up a ltd if you intend to be a contractor?

Comment

Originally posted by Shuttle
                    I don't see why I would have the "piss" taken out of me for simply stating all the issues which are concerning me in this contracting world. For a start I'm young, no one is willing to help and it has resulted in me asking on these forums.

I think I will be better off in a permenant job once this contract has ended, it's just too much to handle for me at this stage and I'm sure that young people like me coming from college or whatever are in a similar situation.

P.S. If a moderator wants to move this topic, feel free.
                    On the whole it's just friendly banter, but General isn't really for serious stuff.
                    Contracting through an umbrella shouldn't really be any more stressfull than being in a permie role. If you give a little more detail about your deductions we may be able to help you.

Your expenses are tax deductable (no tax payable on them) so this may be what the agency are blabbing on about when they mention £200 but without the figures we can't really tell. As you've already told us your top line I guess you aren't that bothered about divulging the details?

I wouldn't get too upset about it mate, even if they have made mistakes it's easy to sort.
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X