• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much better off are we?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was once told in one of those "let's mark you down as below average for this criteria, then next time in 6 months we'll put you at above average. That will look good for you, as it shows an improvement".

Then at another one I asked "is performance review linked to pay review?". They were stunned with the question, their answer was a lengthy waffle (translation = no).

Nah, forget all that. Just let me cane the job and give me the cash, I'm a simple creature like that
    Not really looking for a self-esteem approval- we get that from contract extensions anyway

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
      Not really looking for a self-esteem approval- we get that from contract extensions anyway
      Hear! Hear!

This is one place where I agree with Ayn Rand: paying you money is the one sure sign that they value you.

Comment

Exactly, not doing performance reviews every 6 months or so is worth a couple of grand to me.

Comment

In my line of work permie rates are effectively capped at about ~£48k a year. If I was still in my last permie job (5 years ago) my salary would be about £38k a year. My day rate is £400 and I work (I hope!) 44 weeks a year. I put a grand a month into a SIPP and I reckon I am still about a grand ahead of what I would be taking home now from my last permie job. The actual work I do if fairly similar, just a lot more short term jobs. I like what I do and I would hate to return to permi-dom. That's worth a few bob to me too
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Never say Never

From what I've seen so far the most enthusiastic ones are those from previously so-called 'junior' permie roles earning around £ 30k or less. I can see the obvious financial benefits to them as well as the new 'glamorous' lifestyle (flashy cars/clothes/etc). If you've done all that and one day you are offered say anything between £ 50-60k plus to work locally then as I previously explained, you may no longer then be better off carrying on contracting. Again for the new entrants, when you calculate your earnings, you work out over 45 weeks p/a x anything between 70-80% over the years (allowing for the rest 20-30% is bench time, enforced or not). I am not saying that you are not better off, all I am saying is that people should look at their personal circumstances and not try and jump on the bandwagon, especially now that it's showing signs of slowdown. Likely to see a lot of desperate contractors pleading for an ever diminishing pool of pertmie jobs.
            Last edited by Dow Jones; 2 July 2008, 13:40.

Comment

My problem is that I can't seem to find contracts in the UK, so I'm off to Holland, Germany, or Switzerland every week. Family home remains UK, not about to change, it's just a given. So I have substantial commuting costs in time and money (and the pleasure of paying taxes at UK rates or higher, wherever I work).

I just worked out my net hourly rate after taxes and costs, including commute times. Ouch!

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
                If you've done all that and one day you are offered say anything between £ 50-60k plus to work locally then as I previously explained, you may no longer then be better off carrying on contracting.
                I always think this will be a an age-related decision for me - at some point I will just get fed up contracting. but it hasn't happened yet, but then I turn 40 next summer, so maybe I'll start thinking more about it.
                Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                  I always think this will be a an age-related decision for me - at some point I will just get fed up contracting. but it hasn't happened yet, but then I turn 40 next summer, so maybe I'll start thinking more about it.
                  Not me Jim, I turn 58 next summer and am beginning to hope that I will never have to work permie again.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Not me Jim, I turn 58 next summer and am beginning to hope that I will never have to work permie again.
                    Well part of me dreads the idea of 'settling' for a perm role. I think because our industry is quite young and there aren't a great many older 50s+ contractors around, you get the idea that you can't do it when you're old. I hope that's not true.
                    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                      and the pleasure of paying taxes at UK rates or higher, wherever I work)
                      that's weird. judging from what i read on this board, i assumed that the UK must be the most highly taxed country in all of europe. don't tell me this isn't the case?
                      Originally posted by BolshieBastard
                      You're fulfilling a business role not partaking in a rock and roll concert.

Comment

Working...
                      X