• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FRS & Capital Expenditure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FRS & Capital Expenditure

Subject been done (to death) before, but I can't find the exact question...

If I buy a laptop, can a 3 year support agreement be included in the "computer package" example below?

15.3 What counts as a single purchase of capital goods?

The normal VAT rules are used to determine whether any particular supply is one, or more than one, purchase and whether supplies are of goods or services.

Examples of a single purchase are:

* A computer package (computer, printer, camera, scanner, speakers etc.) bought as one package is one purchase of capital expenditure goods. If the package costs £2,000 or more (incl. VAT) then input tax can be claimed.
    * Items of kitchen equipment (a pizza oven, a fridge and a dishwasher) bought for a restaurant. If all the items are from one supplier at one time, then they count as one purchase of capital expenditure goods. If they are from three different suppliers, or at three different times then they will be three purchases and each must be £2,000 or more (inc VAT) to qualify for a reclaim of VAT.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Bump.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

IANAA (at least, not any more) but I think if the Warranty was purchased as part of the package it can be capitalised, and so should be VAT-able as part of the overall deal. However, if not you're still not looking at a signficant cost anyway, are you.

But I hope an expert turns up!
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        IANAA (at least, not any more) but I think if the Warranty was purchased as part of the package it can be capitalised, and so should be VAT-able as part of the overall deal. However, if not you're still not looking at a signficant cost anyway, are you.

But I hope an expert turns up!
        Macbook Pro - with bells and whistles, about £1900. 3 years Applecare costs about £230 - so free if I can get the VAT back.

I'm asking the accountant...

Comment

if anybody cares

And the accountant says:

Phone the helpline with a carefully worded question (hopefully with an answer in the affirmative) so that you've got a call reference if they ever query it.

Comment

Working...
          X