• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - charges and interest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Maybe but why is he so darn interested in the scheme when it doesn't affect him? I mean how many times does he need to keep repeating the "you're screwed" message. I think we got his point of view ages ago which unless he now tells us he's a Tax Barristor is of little use to us.
    Even if a tax barrister - so what? I remember a post by FriendlyAccountant who suggested only 50 people in UK who are qualified to comment.

I have seen some excellent posts by Mal(not on this subject) - but he seems to suffer from schaundfreude(sp?).

One upside is it keeps the thread alive....

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      Maybe but why is he so darn interested in the scheme when it doesn't affect him? I mean how many times does he need to keep repeating the "you're screwed" message. I think we got his point of view ages ago which unless he now tells us he's a Tax Barristor is of little use to us.
      It does interest me, becuase it is the kind of thing that has got HMRC so interested in us contractors in the fiorst place. It also reinforces their whole idea that we are only in the game to cheat them out of tax income. That makes it very hard to argue that contractors are legitimate businesses who deserve special treatement since they deliberately step outside conventional employment for legitimate reasons.

I don't give stuff about your taxation nor your collective attitude to risk. I do care that you believe you can earn UK money in the UK and not pay tax on it, and I do care quite strongly that you are damaging the work we are doing to get the whole trade recognised as valid by HMG by reinforcing HMRC's view that contractors are always looking for ways to cheat the taxman. It also diverts attention from the BigCo tax reduction schemes (did you know most of them pay 6% less CT than they should?) which costs the UK a lot more, but why attack that when there are easier things to have a go at first.

And frankly your continuing protestations of hard or unfair treatment by HMRC are of no concern to me at all: I just happen to think you're in the wrong and you're deluding yourself if you think 90% of UK's contractors have any sympathy with your problems.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        It does interest me, becuase it is the kind of thing that has got HMRC so interested in us contractors in the fiorst place. It also reinforces their whole idea that we are only in the game to cheat them out of tax income. That makes it very hard to argue that contractors are legitimate businesses who deserve special treatement since they deliberately step outside conventional employment for legitimate reasons.

I don't give stuff about your taxation nor your collective attitude to risk. I do care that you believe you can earn UK money in the UK and not pay tax on it, and I do care quite strongly that you are damaging the work we are doing to get the whole trade recognised as valid by HMG by reinforcing HMRC's view that contractors are always looking for ways to cheat the taxman. It also diverts attention from the BigCo tax reduction schemes (did you know most of them pay 6% less CT than they should?) which costs the UK a lot more, but why attack that when there are easier things to have a go at first.

And frankly your continuing protestations of hard or unfair treatment by HMRC are of no concern to me at all: I just happen to think you're in the wrong and you're deluding yourself if you think 90% of UK's contractors have any sympathy with your problems.
        IR35 came first - without IR35 there would have been no montpelier. The government should aimed for a simplified fairer tax system - we are treated as golrified typists.

This thread is aimed at the contractors who are in montpelier scheme - though many thanks for keep fluffing it.

Comment

so Mal, based on your whiter than white attitude are you in or outside of IR35? Are you paying NI employee and employers as well as income tax?

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
            so Mal, based on your whiter than white attitude are you in or outside of IR35? Are you paying NI employee and employers as well as income tax?
            Pointing fingers at others will not save you.

Comment

oracle Im not looking to be saved thanks. Im just curious to see if we have any kind of double standards going on here. If we are being accused of being dirty tax avoiders Im just curious to see if there is any IR35 avoidance going on by people on this board who have a view on the scheme...

If there is I dont see a big difference to be honest, and Mal's comments about us spoiling it for contractors who he is saying are all above board is total rubbish. I dont know a single one who considers themselves inside IR35 and is paying their dues....take a look at yourselves before judging others...Wonder how long it will be before hector catches on and retrospectively changes IR35 to trap you all....hehehe

PS - HECTOR Please do it, just change the law to say anyone using an intermediary agency is caught and remove the permanent tests re substitution....you're being screwed by contractors!!!!!! fed up of all these holyer than thou people on this board....
              Last edited by smalldog; 27 May 2008, 10:57.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                Pointing fingers at others will not save you.
                I guess you know as much about this issue as atw about economics? And why do you care?

Will this end up like that divorce thread and us swapping PMs?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I guess you know as much about this issue as atw about economics?
                  No

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Will this end up like that divorce thread and us swapping PMs?
                  No

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    No

No

HTH.
                    But many thanks for fluffing the thread - much appreciated!

Comment

It also reinforces their whole idea that we are only in the game to cheat them out of tax income.

Maybe you mix in better circles than me but...

Although I wouldn't use the word "cheat", I have not met a single contractor over the past 10 years who is not out to pay as little tax as they can get away with. Everyone I have ever met is only in this game for one thing - money. A lot of people I know have steered clear of the Offshore Schemes, not because they think (or care) that they are wrong on moral grounds, but because they consider them too risky.

Maybe you are right that these schemes have drawn unwanted attention on the rest of the contractor community. However, it's equally possible that they have given the government an easier target and distracted them from revisiting IR35, S660.

I'm sure they are fully aware of how many billions they are still "losing" post-IR35, and it's only a matter of time before they take another swipe. But hopefully (and this is where I'm sure we will both agree) they will be kicked out of office before they get the chance.

Comment

Working...
                      X