• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Time to fight back!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a personal level, what does this mean for you all if HMRC do win? Holding off on that new car, or complete financial ruin?

The tax law in this country is pathetic; very uncivilised.

Comment

CTDs and Interest

Hello All,

New member here (lurker on the forum who is in the same situation as everyone else - e.g. in MP scheme since 2005)...

One question (or fact) I have seen about CTDs which no one has mentioned (or forgive me - I may have misssed it) is about the interest.

From http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/howtopay/cert_tax_deposit.htm#10

<snip>
      If the tax liability included within the investigation has an original deemed due date that is prior to the date of purchase of the CTD, no interest will be added to the CTD's value.
      </snip>

Therefore (if I am reading this correctly), if you don't pay into a CTD before you receive your "Closure Notice" from HMRC you're not going to get any interest out of it?

Thanks
      drh

Comment

Originally posted by SomeoneElse View Post
        On a personal level, what does this mean for you all if HMRC do win? Holding off on that new car, or complete financial ruin?

man

Hello Mr Brannigan

Comment

Out of interest, what would you expect to happen in a civilised country, given how much you earned and how much tax you paid?

Comment

Originally posted by max View Post
            Out of interest, what would you expect to happen in a civilised country, given how much you earned and how much tax you paid?
            This thread is now 108 pages (or 27 if you read 40 per page!) - can we try to avoid distractions?

Several asked this question - and I created this thread http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ighlight=moral for such talk.

Max - if you want a then please feel free to resurrect that thread or create you own.

if you want to post on this thread then we will assume you are a troll. or Mr Brannigan. or Bradley. or gooner. or are they all the same?

Comment

Re-read my post. You'll note I ask "What does this mean for you all..." It would be reasonable to then deduce, via inference, that I was not affected, yes?

For reference I run a ltd company.

I would expect in a civilised country to have clear, concise tax law, not such a convoluted mess such as the UK tax sysytem that has more shades of grey then a UK "summer" day. After all, isn't that how each and every one of you came to be in this boat? Because you all thought/knew that by the letter of the law, it was legal? Or did that depend upon which £2300 per day tax QC was consulted?

I would expect a civilised country upon changing a particular law, to make the change effective henceforth, not retrospective. Ah yes...Her Royal Majesty's subjects indeed.

Comment

Re-read my post. You'll note I ask "What does this mean for you all..." It would be reasonable to then deduce, via inference, that I was not affected, yes?

For reference I run a ltd company.

I would expect in a civilised country to have clear, concise tax law, not such a convoluted mess such as the UK tax sysytem that has more shades of grey then a UK "summer" day. After all, isn't that how each and every one of you came to be in this boat? Because you all thought/knew that by the letter of the law, it was legal? Or did that depend upon which £2300 per day tax QC was consulted?

I would expect a civilised country upon changing a particular law, to make the change effective henceforth, not retrospective. Ah yes...Her Royal Majesty's subjects indeed.
                hour

I think this should be on thread http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ighlight=moral or create a new one.

And try not to feed the troll.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  hour

I think this should be on thread http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ighlight=moral or create a new one.

And try not to feed the troll.
                  And can I refer all three of you to an earlier post in another thread...
                  http://forums.contractoruk.com/586070-post11.html
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    And can I refer all three of you to an earlier post in another thread...
                    http://forums.contractoruk.com/586070-post11.html
                    An important post - well worthy of its own thread?

Comment

Depends what you call a 'civilised' country. I gather President George Bush paid less tax than his limo driver!
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                      X