• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Noob: Doing PAYE/NIC online

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob: Doing PAYE/NIC online

I've been contracting for a while but have recently gone from just paying myself in dividends to paying myself minimum wage plus dividends.

I used to get a yellow payment book each year which I simply filled in 'nil' each month and sent off the slip. Now I don't get sent a yellow book each year but I registered to look after my tax affairs online via the HMRC site.

I have the figures I need to pay broken down: my income tax, my NIC and employers NIC. Couple of questions:

1) Do I still just pay my income tax by doing my self assesment and sending HMRC a cheque when they send me a nasty letter?

2) Do I pay my employees NIC seperate to employers NIC? Should I go on the HMRC site and pay employees NIC from my own bank account, then pay the employers NIC from the company bank account? Or can I pay them in one lump sum somehow?

Thanks very much for any advice...

1. You pay the tax and NI on the PAYE part as you earn it (the clue is in the term PAYE) - i.e. once a month, or once a quarter. Then any non PAYE income (i.e. dividends, interest) you do via the tax return.

2. The company makes a single payment for all the NI and tax.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      1. You pay the tax and NI on the PAYE part as you earn it (the clue is in the term PAYE) - i.e. once a month, or once a quarter. Then any non PAYE income (i.e. dividends, interest) you do via the tax return.

2. The company makes a single payment for all the NI and tax.
      Great, thanks.

Comment

1) Your company pays the income tax, ernic and eenic due on your salary once a quarter/month. You then pay the rest of your tax liability by doing your self assesment and sending HMRC a cheque when they send you a nasty letter. Or before, if you want to save yourself some money.

2) Your company pays the income tax, ernic and eenic due.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

you can also easily work out your income tax, ernic and eenic by using the updated 07/08 employers cd rom from HMRC. This way you don't have to wade through antiquated tables to get the right figures

Comment

Working...
          X