• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT form & envelope discrepancy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT form & envelope discrepancy

Anyone else noticed that on the back of the green VAT form it says payable to "H M Customs and Excise" yet the reminder on the underside of the envelope provided says "HM Revenue & Customs".

Now which is it? Does it make a difference?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

HMRC

Guessing its an form from before the name was changed.

Comment

Bugger... just wrote the cheque to "H M Customs & Excise" does it mater?

I worry about this every quarter.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

About us:

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) was formed on the 18 April 2005, following the merger of Inland Revenue and HM Customs and Excise Departments. Work is still continuing on our office restructuring programme. We are here to ensure the correct tax is paid at the right time, whether this relates to payment of taxes received by the department or entitlement to benefits paid.

Just send it. If they can't ash it say their forms are wrong. Not your fault you followed instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          Just send it. If they can't cash it say their forms are wrong. Not your fault you followed instructions.
          and that works, does it?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            and that works, does it?
            I doubt HMRC's bank manager is going to quibble about it having their old name on it. Not if she knows what's good for her and her board of directors...

Comment

oh, it'll be OK. They'll still take your money. I never noticed it, so I'm probably still paying to HMCE and they've never sent the boys round.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                Bugger... just wrote the cheque to "H M Customs & Excise" does it mater?
                What's a cheque?

I pay mine online.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  What's a cheque?

I pay mine online.
                  Plus they give you more time to pay if payment is made online.

Payment by BACS usually is taken from the business account on about the 12th or 13th of the month after it is due if payment is made online.

I think I only ever paid by cheque on once, but when I did they cashed it a lot quicker than that.

Cheques are so 19th Century

Comment

But you have to turn the computer on, plug in the modem & press loads of buttons. Boring boring boring.

A cheque can be written in the 30 seconds it takes the steward to mix a perfect Singapore Sling, then popped into the outgoing leaving you to enjoy the rest of the evening.

Comment

Working...
                    X