• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Entertaining

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entertaining

My client has his own limited company.
    He is putting on a conference for his clients and prospective clients which will consist of about 200 people.
    He is paying for the conference facilities, travel and dinner for all of them and hopes to gain some new clients from this.
    The cost could mount up to 10k although i am not sure if this will be an allowable expense against the company.

Could anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

I would suspect that at least part of this would be 'corporate entertainment' which has to be added back for CT purposes.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Just say its the company party. Invite all the staff to come and then £150/head is tax free.

Bingo.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
        I would suspect that at least part of this would be 'corporate entertainment' which has to be added back for CT purposes.
        I don't think entertainment is allowable against CT.

However, this is hardly entertainment. I'd be (almost) certain this could be categorised as "Sales & Marketing" and be offset against CT.

For this amount of money, your friend really should check with his accountant.

Comment

I think "conference" is the operative word. The purpose of the shindig is not entertainment, it's yakking about business. The hotel and meal are sort of unavoidable necessities.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            I think "conference" is the operative word. The purpose of the shindig is not entertainment, it's yakking about business. The hotel and meal are sort of unavoidable necessities.
            But paying for them is not (unavoidable).

In my world, if a company invites prospective customers to attend a sales presentation for some new fangled thingamejig, the costs of attending that presentation are met by the attendees.

tim

Comment

Working...
            X