• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Termination of Contract - help wanted

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lawrenso View Post
    2. Wearing a Bluetooth headset for which I was "told off" although I had never been aware of this
    3. The third saying to somebody that I felt like walking at that moment after the newly promoted team leader made a rather insulting comment to me...
    Go on - what did they say? Something about people wearing bluetooth headsets?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Go on - what did they say? Something about people wearing bluetooth headsets?
      ???

The boss does not like it.... From what I could see there was not a lot that she did like..... I have never seen so many people scared of one person (privately owned company).

Just heard back from the solicitors...Basically I have a very strong case but if it goes to court I would be looking at legal costs of @£15,000 of which I would be able to recoup 70-80% from the other side. However they could not say whether to go for the 4 weeks (£8k) or 12 weeks (£24k). If It was the first that I was entitled to then is it worth it really?? the latter one yes but would I get it....

Might see if there are other solicitors out there with lower costs.... At the moment we have no income stream so it is a bit hard to commit to something like this....

Could it be the small guy loses again??

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
        The businees could have lost this amount by lawful termination, so this loss hasn't actually occurred because of the breach.

tim
        I was merely pointing out to His Royal Highness Dow Jones, who said:
        Originally posted by Dow Jones
        I don't think you can find a solicitor to argue this
        That the argument itself had actually been presented by the PCJ Legal helpline, which I have used in the past to get advice from a solicitor directly....

Comment

Read properly

What I said was that he couldn't find one to argue the case for the FULL amount, if you read it properly.
          So you are right, if it makes you happy, he's got someone that he's going to 'help' him? I don't think so somehow.
          My advice is cut your losses mate and learn from it.
          tulip happens, not the 1st or the last that has been through the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
            I don't think you can find a solicitor to argue this (well, maybe Cherie Blair). What losses have you incurred? Your petrol, tickets, hotels, etc? They don't want you for whatever reason (although alleging 'gross misconduct' is a serious matter - what was it for anyway?), so best case scenario is to get your notice paid. I would ignore the PCG advice, why didn't they point you out to an affiliated solicitor if they are so sure?
            Bollocks!!

I could find a solicitor who would argue that I was shape changing alien from a parallel universe where magic is real and you get paid in gum drops if I threw him enough money!!

You sir, obviously do not hold enough contempt for the legal profession.

Comment

Boll ocks indeed!

Just heard back from the solicitors...Basically I have a very strong case but if it goes to court I would be looking at legal costs of @£15,000 of which I would be able to recoup 70-80% from the other side. However they could not say whether to go for the 4 weeks (£8k) or 12 weeks (£24k).
              --------------------------------------------------
              So to get £ 8k, one has to spend £ 15k in legal costs!
              You are right mate, not enough contempt for this!

Comment

Best thing to do is don't hire a solicitor and drop it when you walk into court. If they think you have a good enough case to win they will pay out before it gets there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                  Best thing to do is don't hire a solicitor and drop it when you walk into court. If they think you have a good enough case to win they will pay out before it gets there.
                  Well, the solicitor will cost most of the money even before the hearing itself.
                  Even better, don't hire a solicitor, and do the paperwork yourself. Sick as it may sound, it is actually fun. Scary fun, but we are contractors, so scary is no big deal for us.

This is a good strategy and can give you a very 'powerful' feeling. The only thing you need to do to protect yourself is to make sure that you follow the pre-trial orders (set by the judge) to the absolute letter. Not difficult, but if you forget, then the defendant can make an Application Notice to have the claim struck out. Not so bad in itself, but they can then also ask for costs in dealing with issue to date to be paid by you. It's not difficult stuff to follow though - just deadlines for witness statements, disclosure of list of documents etc. Sending off forms about a month or so apart - formalities.
                  When you encounter speed humps, sound your horn in protest.

Comment

Originally posted by beercohol View Post
                    Well, the solicitor will cost most of the money even before the hearing itself.
                    Even better, don't hire a solicitor, and do the paperwork yourself. Sick as it may sound, it is actually fun. Scary fun, but we are contractors, so scary is no big deal for us.
                    Did you actually read what you quoted?

Comment

Did you actually read what you quoted?
                      Oh, I see what you mean! I misread that.

Posting on CUK during a requirements capture meeting with key stakeholders is heavy CPU utilisation for me. I must put CUK posting onto a higher thread priority.

Thread.. Ha, get it?
                      When you encounter speed humps, sound your horn in protest.

Comment

Working...
                      X