• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2008 Self Assessment Tax Return

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I provide bespoke software to my clients, is this classed as goods or services ?

I ask my current client if I could supply for a fixed price, but they want to pay by the hour so we don't get into some wrangle about them not getting the requirements right at the start of the development. They have had issues with this before - especially with overseas suppliers.

Comment

Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
      David Smith (head honcho at Accountax) told me No/No. I haven't seen anywhere that he has changed his mind. Can you post a link?
      Curious as Accountax are advising via PCG to put yes/no and fill in the SA accordingly.

QB.

Comment

Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
        David Smith (head honcho at Accountax) told me No/No. I haven't seen anywhere that he has changed his mind. Can you post a link?
        I was told Yes/No when I called the PCG helpline (I thought it was run by Accountax when I last posted but that was a mistake I have checked and it is Abbey Tax). I have nothing in writing. However, on the PCG site there is a document by Bond Pearce, Abbey Tax and Accountax. It has a section titled "comment by Accountax" which says
        The definition in the P35 guidance “ A service company is a company through which the personal services of one of more persons are provided to end clients…” is not, in our view, purporting to address only company’s where the personal service requirement of IR35 fulfilled, it is simply your average one man band limited company.
        As it happens I answered No/No but the vast majority of advice I have heard and read says to answer Yes/No and so I was trying to assure the poster that I would not worry. I asked about amending my answers to Yes/No but was told by a few 'experts' (helplines again) not to worry about is as there is so much confusion and people still disagree on the correct answer anyway and HMRC are going to ignore the answers this year ... so I am not bothered about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
          However, on the PCG site there is a document by Bond Pearce, Abbey Tax and Accountax. It has a section titled "comment by Accountax"
          Yup, that's the thing I'm referring to.

QB.

Comment

Working...
          X