• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2008 Self Assessment Tax Return

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did my own PAYE online this year and ticked no/no as I understood both questions as applying to inside IR35 income.

However, I don't know what my accountant answered last year. If the answer is inconsistent could it ring alarm bells with hmrc? Is there any way of checking this?

Also, I can't remember how I filled out the service company income on my SA!
    (I think I just entered in income and divs as a normal employee/director of my company and left the service company figures blank)
    I logged in the my online SA account and there is no option to view previous years submissions (why on earth not is completely beyond me!).
    Is there anyway of checking previous years submissions?

Comment

Well I might be wrong on this, but I thought these questions (P35 / SA) were both new this year? Therefore the questions wouldn't have been done by your accountant last year??
      The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
        I did my own PAYE online this year and ticked no/no as I understood both questions as applying to inside IR35 income.

However, I don't know what my accountant answered last year. If the answer is inconsistent could it ring alarm bells with hmrc? Is there any way of checking this?

Also, I can't remember how I filled out the service company income on my SA!
        (I think I just entered in income and divs as a normal employee/director of my company and left the service company figures blank)
        I logged in the my online SA account and there is no option to view previous years submissions (why on earth not is completely beyond me!).
        Is there anyway of checking previous years submissions?
        I saved my last year's submission as a pdf - did you not do this?
        Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
          Well I might be wrong on this, but I thought these questions (P35 / SA) were both new this year? Therefore the questions wouldn't have been done by your accountant last year??
          There have been similar questions for the last 2 (?) years. Each year's being slightly more ambiguous and annoying than the last.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

My accountant, one of the famous ones , has filled Yes / No to the questions "Are you a Service Company" and "Do you operate IR35".

Reading at PCG suggests that a Yes/No can increase the risk of targeting your Company for investigation ?!?

Does anyone know if the data submitted can be changed online ?

Anyone in this situation ?

Comment

Originally posted by Likely View Post
              My accountant, one of the famous ones , has filled Yes / No to the questions "Are you a Service Company" and "Do you operate IR35".

Reading at PCG suggests that a Yes/No can increase the risk of targeting your Company for investigation ?!?

Does anyone know if the data submitted can be changed online ?

Anyone in this situation ?
              There is no need to change. HMRC have said they will not use your answers this year for targeting. People still disagree with what the answers should be. But the 'experts' (QDOS, Accountax) say Yes/No is correct but that essentially this year it doesn't matter anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                There is no need to change. HMRC have said they will not use your answers this year for targeting. People still disagree with what the answers should be. But the 'experts' (QDOS, Accountax) say Yes/No is correct but that essentially this year it doesn't matter anyway.

I can't risk that.

Why is this ?

Comment

Originally posted by Likely View Post
                  I can't risk that.

Why is this ?
                  This is the HMRC statement

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/200...35-Quest-6.htm

(b) is beacuse of (a)

If you want to amend you can. But then you are amending to the WRONG answer according to the experts and you accountants. How are you going to justify that?!

Comment

Has anyone asked their accountants how they were answering this on their personal tax returns ?

After all I guess Accountants / Solicitors / Engineers may all be classed as Service Companies from this description .... although Accountants and Solicitors normally operate as (self-employed) partnerships.

Thanks for the reminder - I need to ask them to send me a tax return.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                      David Smith (head honcho at Accountax) told me No/No. I haven't seen anywhere that he has changed his mind. Can you post a link?

Comment

Working...
                      X