• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

minor error on last years self assessment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

minor error on last years self assessment

Well it's that time of year again for P60s, P11Ds etc. etc. I just happened to be reviewing what I put on last years self assessment (2006/07 - already submitted) and noticed I forget to tick employment box 1.7 (is it a close company?). Tax calculated is all correct though.

Am I doomed? Probably.

Danbro Accounting Ltd

Hi,

I don't think you need to worry much, a easy mistake to make and like you say it makes no difference to your tax.

Most Ltd companies in the UK are close companies so its not like they are fishing anymore with this question. There is a good chance the Inland Revenue will already know that your company is a close company anyway.

To put your mind at rest I suggest maybe calling your tax office or sending a letter advising the small error, you wouldn't need to submit an amended return.

Hope this helps.

Neil

Comment

You and millions of others I expect. Think it only makes a difference if you have been loaning yourself money, if tax is correct I wouldn't bother.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

You can make an amendment to your SA return within 12 Months of the filing data. This is the procedure they follow: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/sam/s...amrtn05113.htm

It extends the window of enquiry, however, from January 2009 to the end of the nearest quarter. So, if you did it this month it would extend to April 2009. If you did it on May 1st it would extend enquiry to July 2009!

There's no indication that submitting a written amendment would make you more likely to be investigated?

You'll be pleased to know that as from April 2008, you can submit amendments on-line up to 9 times via your portal by simply clicking the 'AMEND' button! But the last(last) Tax year is not included, just from 07/08 - useful for the future!
        Last edited by rawly; 15 April 2008, 12:11.

Comment

Working...
        X