• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Writing off an invoice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Writing off an invoice

Just a hypothetical question.

As I understand it. If you submit an invoice to a company and they refuse/fail to pay the invoice you can claim the invoice as a loss and it'll reduce your tax liability.

If, given my assumption is correct ( and I'm not an accountant so it may well be wrong). What's to stop me from writing an invoice to one of my friends companies and when they don't pay (nudge nudge), writing off the invoice as a loss and reducing my tax....

Sorry, I'm a bit bored at the moment and am thinking up some creative ways to get one over on Mr Darling...

It doesn't reduce your tax liability. HTH

Comment

Last year, an agency I was working through went bust not fulfilling about 4 invoices. I'm meeting with the accountant to see about this very thing next week, so will let you know how it goes.
      "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
      "See?"

Comment

Why would this reduce your tax liability?

Before you can write the invoice off you'd need to to "write it on" as it were. ie, you'd need to increase turnover, and therefore profit and therefore tax before you could reduce them so there would be no net difference.

On top of that you'd have to add it in to your sales and pay VAT on it (assuming you are registered and not on cash accounting). You'd then need to wait a while before you can write it off and then claim bad debt relief and prepare all the attendant paperwork. And thats just the VAT. If you're not VAT reg'd, there'd be less paperwork but it'd still not do you any good.

Oh and another thing, its tax evasion which is illegal and could result in you wearing some "lockable bangles".

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
          Why would this reduce your tax liability?

Before you can write the invoice off you'd need to to "write it on" as it were. ie, you'd need to increase turnover, and therefore profit and therefore tax before you could reduce them so there would be no net difference.

On top of that you'd have to add it in to your sales and pay VAT on it (assuming you are registered and not on cash accounting). You'd then need to wait a while before you can write it off and then claim bad debt relief and prepare all the attendant paperwork. And thats just the VAT. If you're not VAT reg'd, there'd be less paperwork but it'd still not do you any good.

Oh and another thing, its tax evasion which is illegal and could result in you wearing some "lockable bangles".

But wouldn't you be able to write it off as a loss..

I like the bit about the lockable bangles..

Comment

You'd only be able to write it off against profits - not tax. Quick example:

Without "pretend" invoice raised and written off:

Turnover £100,000
            Expenses (incl write offs) 50,000
            Profit 50,000
            CT payable 10,000

With "pretend" invoice raised and wrtten off:

Turnover £120,000
            Expenes (incl write offsI 70,000
            Profit 50,000
            CT payable 10,000

You see?
            Last edited by Alan @ BroomeAffinity; 10 March 2008, 16:37.

Comment

Bugger

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
                You'd only be able to write it off against profits - not tax. Quick example:

Without "pretend" invoice raised and written off:

Turnover £100,000
                Expenses (incl write offs) 50,000
                Profit 50,000
                CT payable 10,000

Without "pretend" invoice raised and wrtten off:

Turnover £120,000
                Expenes (incl write offsI 70,000
                Profit 50,000
                CT payable 10,000

You see?
                with

But a nice example.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

[QUOTE=NotAllThere;484370] with [QUOTE]

Suitably chastised. Edit done.

Comment

Originally posted by Flat Eric View Post
                    Bugger
                    Just get your mate to send you 100k in invoices. Don't pay these, but claim to have been defrauded by your finance director who directed the funds. You should achieve most of your objectives this way. You increase your expenses - thus reducing your CT, and you probably also get a nice little holiday on the Isle of Wight as a free bonus

Comment

Working...
                    X