• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 and length of contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 and length of contract

I know that length of contract shouldnt be irrelevant.. but most IR35 cases I read about seem to be contractors who have been at the same client site for 2+ years. Impossible thing to know for sure as HMRC dont divulge why they choose certain contractors for investigation. But do the people at the coal face see a theme of longer the contrcator.. more chance of investigation?

There's an argument that it is more cost-effective for HMRC to target the longer contracts. If they win the case, then their tax-take for that case would be more than it would be for a shorter contract.

In which case, it is more beneficial to the taxpayer, which includes me and you, so we should be thanking them really...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I'd say it would be easier to argue shorter term contracts. Yes, it has no relevance but I think that shorter contracts by the nature of the work will probably tend to have working practices outside IR35.

Shorter term projects (<3 months) your less likely to be considered part of the furniture or as a perm by other people there.

You may be more likley to have several running at the same time, just finishing odds and ends.

No D&C as usually its a fix it now policy other than a plan, then fix.

I don't think the tax take is different. If you have 12 1 month contracts you may get paid more than 1 12 month contract.

Comment

I don't think the tax take is different. If you have 12 1 month contracts you may get paid more than 1 12 month contract.
        Fair point, however, each contract is considered and investigated on it's own merits. Therefore if I have 4 or 5 contracts in a 2 year period I am (surely?) less likely to be a target?
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Fair point, however, each contract is considered and investigated on it's own merits. Therefore if I have 4 or 5 contracts in a 2 year period I am (surely?) less likely to be a target?
          Thats my query really, my longest contract under a ltd comonay is 12 months, the rest much less. I would be a bit of a hassle to investigate comapred to someone who has been 3 years at the same place. I am not looking for gurantees.. gawd knows there are none of these when it comes to IR35, just wanted to know if there had been many investigations against shorter term contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
            I'm assuming the costs involved will be more for 12 investigations than 1 investigation...
            Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

My layman's take on it is that my short term projects are more "contractor like" than "employee like".

I'll challenge anyone to show me an "employee" with 6 different employers in the last 5 years, some of whom they have worked for multiple times within that 5 years period. Sometimes concurrently.

Hmmm, thought so, there aren't any................
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

IR35 has nothing to do with length of contract. But I think there is a limit of one week whereby you will be outside if all your contracts are less than seven days.
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                X