• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Parting company with accountant.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parting company with accountant.

Hi Guys,

I am currently paying 146.88 (inc vat) for accountancy services. The accountant manages my payroll (same pay each month) and VAT returns. Flat Vat Rate) and manages letters from revenue.

I am thinking that I need to switch to another accountant and would like to know if this is something that can be done easily enough. He doesn’t offer value for money, I get no advice on anything. If I ask a question he will refer me to revenue site. I defo think I am not getting any value for money.

I was referred to this guy from a buddy who seemed to appreciate his laid back approach to things, but for me this isn't what I want.

Just instruct a new accountant and tell your existing one. They should be professional enough not to be cheesed off, and are legally obliged (I think!) to pass over your documentation quickly and efficiently; your new accountant will help with this.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

"laid back" is not a trait I would look for in an accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
        Just instruct a new accountant and tell your existing one. They should be professional enough not to be cheesed off, and are legally obliged (I think!) to pass over your documentation quickly and efficiently; your new accountant will help with this.
        I'm in the process of switching, but my current accountant is very cheesed off and is being so slow its unreal.

Hopefully by the end of this week the information should be handed over and any overpayment should be returned back to me.

My new accountant did say that they have never encountered issues like this before

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
          I'm in the process of switching, but my current accountant is very cheesed off and is being so slow its unreal.

Hopefully by the end of this week the information should be handed over and any overpayment should be returned back to me.

My new accountant did say that they have never encountered issues like this before
          Sounds like you're doing the right thing by changing them then!
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I'm looking to change mine and figured April would be a good time to do it - new financial year and all that.

I did get a call from Brookson (who were a MSC) who are now offering accountancy services to my ltd company i.e. they have no involvement with my ltd company but I'm not sure given their past and how Hector and co would treat them. Tempted to just go to the likes of Nixon Williams who seem to get good feedback on here.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I would switch at the end of your company trading year. That way it should be pretty painless I believe.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by reddeagle View Post
                I am currently paying 146.88 (inc vat) for accountancy services.
                Is that per month or per year? If it's per month, then it's about double what I pay, if it's per year ,then it's a bargain!

NN
                "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                  I'm looking to change mine and figured April would be a good time to do it - new financial year and all that.

I did get a call from Brookson (who were a MSC) who are now offering accountancy services to my ltd company i.e. they have no involvement with my ltd company but I'm not sure given their past and how Hector and co would treat them. Tempted to just go to the likes of Nixon Williams who seem to get good feedback on here.
                  I'm sure I remember reading that an MSC attempting to re-invent itself would still be viewed as an MSC in Hector's eyes. Go with an accountancy firm who's principle business has always been accountancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
                    I'm sure I remember reading that an MSC attempting to re-invent itself would still be viewed as an MSC in Hector's eyes. Go with an accountancy firm who's principle business has always been accountancy.
                    I agree with that. Why bother with the risk. Go with Nixon Williams, SJD, Upton or any other recommended accountant.

Comment

Working...
                    X