• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employing a nanny

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WindyAnna View Post
    Nannies are so much nicer than SAP contractors!
    Looking round my office, and then out of the window at the park, I have to agree.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

No-one I've taken advice from seems willing to confirm this one way or the other - not really a surprise!!

Advice so far is that it "seems" perfectly acceptable but there is no precedent and HMRC moves in mysterious ways! I have discovered someone else who does this - not an IT contractor though but a small business - works from home, employs one member of staff for the "business" and a nanny to run the "workplace creche", also manages to put her cleaning bill through her company as well!

So - shall I risk it? You know my luck - it'll be a disaster and HMRC will put me in the village stocks as an example to all!!

WA

Comment

So - shall I risk it? You know my luck - it'll be a disaster and HMRC will put me in the village stocks as an example to all!!

WA
        With your luck, the creche will go bankrupt, somehow owing you money!!

I've asked my accountant and see what he says...
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I think its a bonzer idea (I would, as I am planning on a similar arrangement myself).

I think that you are mixing things up by trying to have a "daytime creche" and referring to child tax credits. It might be simpler to think of it as the limited company simply employing an additional person, rather than a nanny. Provided that the job description is wide enough to encompass a range of activities, why is your nanny not just your personal assistant (which most busy company directors need)?

And one other thing. 30k pa for a nanny? I've got to get me into that business....!
          Plan A is located just about here.
          If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

DimPrawn ltd currently employs a handsome and clever IT consultant and a child care nanny.

Is there a law now saying that a ltd company can't employ certain professions now?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
              the only spanner in the works that I can think of is that I *think* the creche needs to be a registered/validated/approved/certificated/whatever creche for the childcare vouchers to be applicable. Therefore the creche needs to be inspected or something.

Not 100% sure though.
              That seems reasonable - plus possibly need extra insurance to cover the employees?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                That seems reasonable - plus possibly need extra insurance to cover the employees?
                I wouldn't employ her. I would have my company outsource child care requirements to her company. I don't want to have to deal with payroll for her and employee rights and all that gubbins!!

Comment

Originally posted by XLMonkey View Post

I think that you are mixing things up by trying to have a "daytime creche" and referring to child tax credits. It might be simpler to think of it as the limited company simply employing an additional person, rather than a nanny. Provided that the job description is wide enough to encompass a range of activities, why is your nanny not just your personal assistant (which most busy company directors need)?
                  I'm not really mixing them up - just observing that it sounds better for me than using childcare vouchers.

I'm not sure about employing her as my personal assistant though - mainly because she is a child carer by profession and I need her job description to reflect that! The one I have now probably wouldn't have a problem with it but if she ever left and I needed a new one it could be! Interesting idea though and will certainly consider!

Comment

Oh and it costs be about £30K per year to employ her - her gross works out at about £27K - and worth every penny caring for my pride and joy!! She clears about £80 for every day she works.

It does vary by region though - I live in prime nanny land - highest paid nannies in the country outside of certain mighty wealthy pockets of west London. In Yorkshire it will probably only cost you £20K, in the west midlands about £25K - though it does depend where.

Au pairs are much cheaper but younger, unqualified and living with you!!

Comment

Au pairs are much cheaper but younger, unqualified and living with you!!
                      Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - au pair.

"Mummy, does the au pair have a removable bottom?"
                      "No, dear. Why?"
                      "Because daddy said he'd like to screw the @rse off her!"
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X