• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses, from weekly shop receipt?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I claim mine - it's easy to spot that it's not my weekly shop, since it's 200 miles from home.

Plus, of course, I have a dispensation....
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      I claim mine - it's easy to spot that it's not my weekly shop, since it's 200 miles from home.

Plus, of course, I have a dispensation....
      For the full £26 a day even when you are at home but away for over 10 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
        For the full £26 a day even when you are at home but away for over 10 hours.
        I have no such limits on my dispensation (seriously!) so I just claim a round £500 a day in expenses with no receipts.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I have no such limits on my dispensation (seriously!) so I just claim a round £500 a day in expenses with no receipts.
          Hey, that's not bad for a £450 a day contract.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Hey, that's not bad for a £450 a day contract.
            I argued this with eddiegee some time back - his line was that his umbrella had a dispensation for a maximum of £26 a day, so he could claim that with no receipts etc. My line was that since mine had no limit, did that mean I could claim £1 million a day then. He didn't quite understand it, though.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I argued this with eddiegee some time back - his line was that his umbrella had a dispensation for a maximum of £26 a day, so he could claim that with no receipts etc. My line was that since mine had no limit, did that mean I could claim £1 million a day then. He didn't quite understand it, though.
              He will when the taxman comes knocking.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by mbriody View Post
                My accountants (on of the big ones) tell me to claim my supermarket bill if/when I am away from home.
                thx for all the replies every1, just reading that duality of purpose section on HMRC site.
                basically on this away gig I go to tesco's and buy 3 weeks worth of tinned evening meals+bread. Then I buy cereals+milk+fruit. I cross the latter off the tesco receipt and claim the rest. i lunch eat at restaurants or the canteen on my clients site so I don't claim that either.

tbh, i dont know why we're allowed to claim dinner if a dinner "at home" hasn't gone to waste. I would have had to go to tescos "at home" for tinned food as well.
                thx again for replies. richy

Comment

My argument for shopping rather than eating out is that if I ate out, I could claim an expense. It's my duty as a director of the company to ensure that all employees minimize unnecessary expenditure.

Therefore, I'm doing my role as a director by ensuring that I buy from a supermarket and save money.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                  X