• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IOM Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IOM Question

This may be a stupid question, but hey ho..

Situation: I know someone who has a company incorporated on the Isle of Mann.. He used to work here in the UK, but now works in Switzerland. He is not UK tax resident.

Question: Is there anything stopping me from closing my limited and becoming a director of said company in IoM and working through it??

Opinions (and I am sure there will be many)??
    The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Originally posted by KevinS View Post

Situation: I know someone who has a company incorporated on the Isle of Mann.. He used to work here in the UK, but now works in Switzerland. He is not UK tax resident.

Question: Is there anything stopping me from closing my limited and becoming a director of said company in IoM and working through it??

Are you working in the UK?

No agency will touch you as they will be liable for your tax.

Try montpelier(See the Sanzar Thread - http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...m-company.html ).

Comment

I suppose not. To be fair the initals IOM just scream "stay the **** away" to me.

Especially if you live in the UK full time. I know people who own large companies that live in the IOM but have to do so for x days a year. Not that great if you work in the UK.

Comment

Nothing at all - but you will still be a UK tax resident, so no benefit.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Are you working in the UK?

No agency will touch you as they will be liable for your tax.

Try montpelier(See the Sanzar Thread - http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...m-company.html ).
          Yeah, I am working in the UK..

Why would they be liable?

I have read the thread.. Must be said, not all that keen on the idea.. I was just wondering...

Comment

Yeah, I am working in the UK..

Why would they be liable?

I have read the thread.. Must be said, not all that keen on the idea.. I was just wondering...
            The last place before it leaves the UK is liable.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Nothing at all - but you will still be a UK tax resident, so no benefit.
              I was more thinking from a CT point of view, rather than personal tax..

Comment

Nothing at all. But whether you can achieve anything useful in terms of tax planning is a very different question.

Comment

Working...
                X