• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do reinbursed expenses count as income?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do reinbursed expenses count as income?

Hi there,

I stayed in a hotel for a week and spent money driving there. I included these expenses in the invoice I sent and the client reinbursed me in full.

Should these expenses stay off the tax return?

Cheers, I.

Which tax return? It's part of the company's income, not yours.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Which tax return? It's part of the company's income, not yours.
      I assume he is referring to the Corporation Tax return.

Comment

Originally posted by IanIan View Post
        Hi there,

I stayed in a hotel for a week and spent money driving there. I included these expenses in the invoice I sent and the client reinbursed me in full.

Should these expenses stay off the tax return?

Cheers, I.
        You should have charged VAT on the expenses. You still owe it to HMRC, whether you did or not.

The expenses are allowable expenses for calculating your CTable profits, because they are not entertaining (entertaining is not allowable).

Comment

Sorry, I mean my own personal tax return. The work and expenses were the result of my own contracting. And I don't earn enough to charge VAT.

Comment

Sorry, I mean my own personal tax return. The work and expenses were the result of my own contracting. And I don't earn enough to charge VAT.
            If you paid it personally, your client paid it to YourCo and then YourCo paid it back to you, then you need to declare it on your personal tax return.

If your company paid the expense direct e.g. company credit card, then you don't need to declare it.

Comment

Ahh, I don't have a company. They paid me a personal check after I paid for it personally.

Cheers for the response...

Comment

Reimburse
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Ahh, I don't have a company. They paid me a personal check after I paid for it personally.

Cheers for the response...
                  Umbrella then? (although I can't understand why you brought VAT into it)

Comment

Originally posted by minstrel View Post
                    If you paid it personally, your client paid it to YourCo and then YourCo paid it back to you, then you need to declare it on your personal tax return.
                    Would this only be appropriate if it generated a BIK?

Comment

Working...
                    X