• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Darling...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim View Post
    The way the PUMA has calcualted things is nowt like the way I have....which I have lifted directly from SJD accountants guide.....

They use 75% taper relief...like I have done..

At NO point anywhere is 10% mentioned...which is why I am dead confused!! Is the way SJD have worked things completely wrong (which I doubt)..

BTW - what a great way to spend a Friday night ;-)
    They both get to the same result.

You've done:

((100K - 75%) - 9,200) * 40%

which is the same as:

(100k * 0.25) - 9,200) * 40%

which is also equal to:

(100k - (9,200 * 4)) * 10%

and then:

(100k - 36,800) * 10%

It all works out the same. THEPUMA has just factored the 75% taper relief into the 40% tax to get 10% rather than taking it off the amount available for distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by minstrel View Post
      They both get to the same result.

You've done:

((100K - 75%) - 9,200) * 40%

which is the same as:

(100k * 0.25) - 9,200) * 40%

which is also equal to:

(100k - (9,200 * 4)) * 10%

and then:

(100k - 36,800) * 10%

It all works out the same. THEPUMA has just factored the 75% taper relief into the 40% tax to get 10% rather than taking it off the amount available for distribution.
      cheers...gottcha...deary me its been a long day!!

Now it all makes sense.....at last!!!

Comment

Working...
      X