• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Darling...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Darling...

...can someone please do me a quick calculation using the pre and post April 2008 CGT rules if I choose to close my company....

Assume that I have 100K (I wish) profit sat in company coffers....and have a full (9K) CGT allowance left for the year.

thanks a lot

Do you have people to wipe your arse too?

CGT payable will probably be the same. Depends on i) if ESC C16 is granted on your company closure and if ii) ESC C16 still applies post April 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim View Post
      ...can someone please do me a quick calculation using the pre and post April 2008 CGT rules if I choose to close my company....

Assume that I have 100K (I wish) profit sat in company coffers....and have a full (9K) CGT allowance left for the year.

thanks a lot
      Have you not heard.......it's been canned!?!

£1,000,000 lifetime allowance to declare...from april.

Do a news search...darling/cgt.

Oh...and had the change gone through...you'd need to be non trading for 3 months, to have the company closed down, so you'd be too late anyway.
      Last edited by max; 25 January 2008, 20:35.

Comment

Do try and keep up Billy.

Comment

Originally posted by Crossroads View Post
          Do you have people to wipe your arse too?

CGT payable will probably be the same. Depends on i) if ESC C16 is granted on your company closure and if ii) ESC C16 still applies post April 2008.

ok then....at the minute..closing a co (and correct me if I am wrong...which is why I am asking the question in the first place.....)

100K -- 75% taper relief == 25K

25K minus 9 K CGT allowance == 16K

40% of 16K == £6.8K

After April -- what is the calc...sure I have read somewhere that taper relief is being abolished and CGT is a flat 10%...

Or a meringue??

Comment

ok then....at the minute..closing a co (and correct me if I am wrong...which is why I am asking the question in the first place.....)

100K -- 75% taper relief == 25K

25K minus 9 K CGT allowance == 16K

40% of 16K == £6.8K

After April -- what is the calc...sure I have read somewhere that taper relief is being abolished and CGT is a flat 10%...

Or a meringue??
            Where did you read that then

http://www.contractoruk.com/

?

Comment

Sorry Billy...as others have said, as well the flat rate 18% CGT coming in as planned, Darling has announced a 10% "entrepreneur allowance" for company disposals up to £1m (lifetime limit).

What is not 100% clear yet is whether the 10% rate will apply to ESC C16 disposals. And even if it did, ESC C16 may or may not be granted after all.

Do a search - all the info you need is here.

Comment

Originally posted by Crossroads View Post
                Sorry Billy...as others have said, as well the flat rate 18% CGT coming in as planned, Darling has announced a 10% "entrepreneur allowance" for company disposals up to £1m (lifetime limit).

What is not 100% clear yet is whether the 10% rate will apply to ESC C16 disposals. And even if it did, ESC C16 may or may not be granted after all.

Do a search - all the info you need is here.
                Cheers! I've searched...I've read loads of stuff...and I'm STILL not sure where the land lies!

So is my calc above completely off the mark? Sure I've seen something similar in the SJD guide?

Comment

Cheers! I've searched...I've read loads of stuff...and I'm STILL not sure where the land lies!

So is my calc above completely off the mark? Sure I've seen something similar in the SJD guide?
                  Your calculation is right - check out THEPUMA's post here - this gives you all the pre and post calculations.

Comment

Originally posted by minstrel View Post
                    Your calculation is right - check out THEPUMA's post here - this gives you all the pre and post calculations.
                    The way the PUMA has calcualted things is nowt like the way I have....which I have lifted directly from SJD accountants guide.....

They use 75% taper relief...like I have done..

At NO point anywhere is 10% mentioned...which is why I am dead confused!! Is the way SJD have worked things completely wrong (which I doubt)..

BTW - what a great way to spend a Friday night ;-)

Comment

Working...
                    X