• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Directors loan - how to?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    The limit is £5K at anyone time. ( Otherwise, you should have a BIC - perhaps the BIC on £10K for a few weeks is so negligible that they didn't bother. Or perhaps they just don't know the law/rules ). The loan must be paid off within 9 months of company year end.

I generally took the loan, then paid it off against a divvy. Just to help my (personal) tax flow.
    The nine months thing is for close companies. Which ours are.

But there is still the small loan exemption of £5k.

How do these interact?

Comment

We would generally advise against loans to a director as it is very easy to forget and exceed the limits and end up paying extra tax.

BIK taxes

Provided the loan never exceeds £5000 there is no tax charge, however if the loan does exceed £5000 at any one time in the tax year, the exemption is lost and tax would be charged on the BIK of an interest free loan, even if it was only above £5000 for one day in the year.

Corporation Tax

A loan to a director of whatever sum would be chargeable to an extra 25% tax if this sum is not repaid within 9 months of the period end.

So if at the year end there is a loan of £8000 to the director, and it is not repaid by 9months of the year end, a charge of £2000 is made on the company.

Whilst they are available, personally I do not think they are worth the potential hassle of having one, but this is a decision for each person to make.

Alan

Comment

I only ever used mine cos I was advised, in 1995, by IAS (now Giant) that monthly dividends had some kind of risk over quarterly ones. Now I'd only use it if I needed some cash for a very short term.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
          BIK taxes

Provided the loan never exceeds £5000 there is no tax charge, however if the loan does exceed £5000 at any one time in the tax year, the exemption is lost and tax would be charged on the BIK of an interest free loan, even if it was only above £5000 for one day in the year.
          My company year end is 31-dec-08

I took £3000 out in 01-Apr-08
          I took another £3000 out in 01-oct-08
          which means my loan account is now £6000

From what you are saying here, it implies that no BIK tax occurs because the two loans occur in different tax years

right?

css_jay99

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
            My company year end is 31-dec-08

I took £3000 out in 01-Apr-08
            I took another £3000 out in 01-oct-08
            which means my loan account is now £6000

From what you are saying here, it implies that no BIK tax occurs because the two loans occur in different tax years

right?

css_jay99
            There is a BIk because the current balance is over £5K, as NW stated. The taxable benefit is pretty low as it is based on the interest figure of the loan (which i think is currently 5.5% pa). The company pays Class 1A NIC on this at 12.8% and it is included as income on your personal tax return. I would suggest that you declared a dividend on 30 September 2008 and credited it to your loan account.

I agree with Nixon, that overdrawn loan accounts are not really worth it unless in certain circumstances - ie deferring dividends to keep out of higher rate tax.

To add to Nixons point on overdrawn loan accounts, yes it is taxable at 25% if still outstanding 9 months after the accounting year end and it is declared on the company tax return. However if subsequently repaid the taxman will give you the money back (eventually).

Comment

Cash advance or Director's Loan?

I take cash advances from business account for cash expenses such as taxi fare payments. Are these cash advances considered Director's loan, if not how are these cash advances to be entered in the books?

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
                I want to borrow £5k from my company business account, I also run my own books (Sage instant accounts). Whats the process here, do I just transfer 5k to my own personal account and mark it as a 'payment' in sage? What do I do when paying it back - anyone done this before?

Cheers.
                Can you take the loan and pay interest at say, current BOE base rate of 2%?

Wouldn't be a directors loan, but cheap and no mucking about with dates and BIK etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashwin2007 View Post
                  I take cash advances from business account for cash expenses such as taxi fare payments. Are these cash advances considered Director's loan, if not how are these cash advances to be entered in the books?
                  Only if your advances exceed your expenses - ie if you take a cash advance of £100 and your expenses are only £90 then you need to pay back the £10 - otherwise it goes into your director's loan.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    I only ever used mine cos I was advised, in 1995, by IAS (now Giant) that monthly dividends had some kind of risk over quarterly ones. Now I'd only use it if I needed some cash for a very short term.
                    This is utter bollocks (the advice you got, not your post and is another example why not to use umbrellas).

There is nothing written in statute, IR or HMRC legislation that says dividends can only be taken 3 or 4 times a year and that dividends taken monthly or every 2 months indicates a different tax liability and therefore risk.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X