• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MSC - no longer a problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSC - no longer a problem

Anyone else seen this:

http://www.onrec.com/newsstories/19886.asp

About time too I reckon - I must admit I was a bit worried about the whole MSC thing for a while. I'm surprised no one else has had this done - makes you wonder why

Prior to this press I did not understand this MSC malarkey. Now I understand it even less.

What has your accountant's practices got to do with anything?

And why do "200,000 Contractors & Recruiters breathe a sigh of relief" just 'cos SJD have paid KPMG to give them a badge of approval? WTF has it got to do with me?
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Are KPMG HMRC?

Unless HMRC gives me a letter signed with the blood of el Gordos first born I don't believe any "accreditation" scheme

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
        Are KPMG HMRC?

Unless HMRC gives me a letter signed with the blood of el Gordos first born I don't believe any "accreditation" scheme
        KPMG supposedly would have audited SJD & ContractorUmbrella's business structure and processes to determine if it sat outside the HRMC ruling on MSCs.

You are right though, HRMC could challenge the outcome of the audit. It seems unlikely they would bother though
        Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          Are KPMG HMRC?

<Insert tastless but witty joke about el gordo's deceased first born here....>

Comment

Totally agree, it’s just like IR35, I feel safer after having my contract reviewed and finding it has all the clauses that would make it outside IR35.

However, only Hector really knows if you’re contract is in or out and last time I checked, they didn’t provide a contract review service.

Comment

Originally posted by williamdavis View Post
              Totally agree, it’s just like IR35, I feel safer after having my contract reviewed and finding it has all the clauses that would make it outside IR35.

However, only Hector really knows if you’re contract is in or out and last time I checked, they didn’t provide a contract review service.
              You can present your contract to HMRC and ask them to validate it and tell you if it is inside or outside IR35. Generally they don't send you a reply until the contract has finished and tell you that you are caught because of <insert random reason here>.

You are also putting yourself on the radar by letting them know that you are worried about IR35 and may get an aspect investigation for your troubles.

Generally speakign the advice is don't bother with it.

Comment

Thanks, nice idea, but like you say, I don't really want to alert them.

I'm sure ever Monday morning, after a weekend jam packed full of exciting chess and book clubs they say “now whose life should we ruin and whose doors should we kick down, a ah, I see this chaps a bit worried about IR35, lets get him”.

Comment

Originally posted by williamdavis View Post
                  Thanks, nice idea, but like you say, I don't really want to alert them.

I'm sure ever Monday morning, after a weekend jam packed full of exciting chess and book clubs they say “now whose life should we ruin and whose doors should we kick down, a ah, I see this chaps a bit worried about IR35, lets get him”.
                  You really think the average employee of HMRC can read (never mind play chess)? They go around in threes, you know. One who can read, one who can write and one to keep an eye on the two intellectuals.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                  X