• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency introduction referal fee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency introduction referal fee

hi all. i've got a CV of someone who I can't find a role for in my ltd company, but i'm sure one of these agencies which spam me daily might be interested in.. has anyone here got a referal fee for an introduction of a candiate?

the offers i've had so far are £100 and £500 from two different agencies.. but when i know that they are taking 15-20% of first year salary it makes me think I should be getting 5% or so...?

any one with experience of this referral stuff?
    thx for any tips/advice, rich

You are being gready.

It is much, much more difficult to acquire a client than a contractor. Of the 15% margin, at least 5% will disappear in finance costs. Expecting half of the rest, for less than half of the work, is unreasonable.

Having said that, 100 quid is an insult! (In case any agents are reading)

tim

Comment

I did the same thing a few years back and ran some contractors through my Ltd taking a minimal cut (<5%) instead. This meant the derisory £125 voucher I was offered by the pimp turned into profit of around £35K for the year...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I got £4000 for a referal direct to a SAP consultancy in 1998. That was 10% of the salary.

10% of the agency cut doesn't seem unreasonable. For a £50k salary, with agent 20% cut that would be £1000.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Yes, try asking an agency to find you an employee for £150 in Virgin Megastore vouchers and see how seriously they take you.

I'd be wanting 5-8% or first year salary, which should leave the agent at least 20%.

incidentally a new agency sent me its ratecard the other day. They charge 20%-30% first year salary (sliding scale), and -this is the really cheeky bit- you only get a discount if the guy quits within 3 months. Especially, if they stay for between 1 and 4 weeks you still have to pay half the fee. Nice churning if you can get it!

Comment

hehe, that is a bit crap! I think I would only agree terms to pay the agency after 90days had passed! One agent just upped his offer to 3.5%! but that's still so low.. another which was spamming me about permie positions said they didnt need to do referals as they were finding loads of candates on their own. think that is becoming a prob in the uk.. too many computer science graduates..

Comment

Working...
            X