• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professional indemnity insurance necessary?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Professional indemnity insurance necessary?

hi. atm my ltd has skipped on the professional indemnity, someone i met through a client told me that the buck doesn't stop at the ltd.. and i could be held personally liable as the director... could anyone tell me if this really is the case?

..if so, perhaps we should get a professional indemnity policy after all..
    any tips/advice appreciated.
    cheers, richy

Originally posted by richy View Post
    hi. atm my ltd has skipped on the professional indemnity, someone i met through a client told me that the buck doesn't stop at the ltd.. and i could be held personally liable as the director... could anyone tell me if this really is the case?

..if so, perhaps we should get a professional indemnity policy after all..
    any tips/advice appreciated.
    cheers, richy
    Yes it is true
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      Yes it is true
      Not quite.

You can be personally held liable as a professional <whatever>.

You don't attract a liability wearing your 'directors' hat because you make a business decision to do, or not to do something [1], but you can attract a liability because as a professional you make a technical decision to do, or not to do, something.

I hope that it is obvious that the set of 'wrong' things in each category are not the same. Note that something fitting in the business decision category doesn't relieve you from having to make the correct technical decision as well.

The companies Limited Liability covers you ONLY for the former. But as its name implies, Professional Liability covers you for the latter. And for the pedants, there are other ways of avoiding liability for technical 'mistakes'.

[1] The exception is, if that decision is to trade whilst insolvent, but then no insurance will cover you.

Tim

Comment

Yes it's necessary. Many clients and agents insist on it.

No it's not necessary. I believe the question was once asked of an insurer whether anyone (contractors presumably?) had ever claimed against their PI insurance. The answer was "no".

For the amounts we "need" to cover, the premiums are not too bad. Just consider it another "tax" on running a company. If client or agent asks for a ridiculous level of PI, start negotiating - e.g. "I'll cover up to £1,000,000 - if you want more than that, I'll have to add it to my fee".
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
        X