• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

avoiding high rate tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

avoiding high rate tax

I have about 50k cash in company. If I withdraw more than about 40k/annum (salary+divis) from the company I have to pay 25% tax on dividends.

how about if instead I keep piling up the cash in the company for say 6-7 years and then maybe retire and move abroad and continue withdrawing 40k/annum from the company.

Any flaws with this idea?

none that i can think of... untill HMRC read this thread
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
      I have about 50k cash in company. If I withdraw more than about 40k/annum (salary+divis) from the company I have to pay 25% tax on dividends.

how about if instead I keep piling up the cash in the company for say 6-7 years and then maybe retire and move abroad and continue withdrawing 40k/annum from the company.

Just invest the money in the companies name in the mean time, makes you a bit more, granted you'll have to pay tax on the profits but its still extra money for nothing.
      Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

Originally posted by shelby68 View Post
        Just invest the money in the companies name in the mean time, makes you a bit more, granted you'll have to pay tax on the profits but its still extra money for nothing.
        As long as you don't get classed as an investment company, which has a whole different tax regime.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          As long as you don't get classed as an investment company, which has a whole different tax regime.
          You wont get classed as one unless the investment income is more than the contracting income though.

I wonder what happens if you decide not to contract for a year, and thus have no contracting income. Would you then all of a sudden become an investment company?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Indeed, I'm not sure on that my self to be honest, even my accountant was suitably "vague" on that one as well,
            Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

Potential hit on the exit charge on the retained assets when you go offshore. The IR can decide the company is not resident in the UK and hit you with this.

Also there is the tax regime in the country you have gone to to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                Potential hit on the exit charge on the retained assets when you go offshore. The IR can decide the company is not resident in the UK and hit you with this.

Also there is the tax regime in the country you have gone to to consider.
                How would the IR know that I have left the UK? If I don't close the company and keep filing the accounts through accountant.
                Also the country I move to may be a tax heaven like dubai etc

Comment

Just one. Once you are abroad in the tax haven can't you just take it all out in one go instead of 40K at a time?

Comment

How would the IR know that I have left the UK? If I don't close the company and keep filing the accounts through accountant.
                    Also the country I move to may be a tax heaven like dubai etc
                    You may be surprised by what the IR know. In my last full investigation some scary stuff cropped up :-(

In any event the onus is on you. It's your choice. You can either ascertain what liability might be and plan ahead to avoid it or simply ignore the possibility and hope for the best.

Comment

Working...
                    X