• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

security cleared ??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lenbod View Post
    I have seen some jobs requesting applicants for getting or undergoing security clearance. What does it really mean? Is it worth going for security clearance in order to get a job?
    I apply for every job I am remotely qualified for that requires security clearance.
    They have to put in the job ad that they will take cleared people or people willing to undergo clearance (not sure what there is to undergo unless there is a rubber glove section I know nothing about) otherwise they are discriminating.
    However you will find that they are only sending CV'ds through for people that already have clearance.
    Applying for every one though means I may get lucky and find someone who will do the clearance for me and them I'm in the clubhouse. What mostly happens though is agents call me back and go through the whole process before finding out I don't have clearance. This then pisses them off because they've wasted their time and I can profess innocence and point out the bit in the ad where it wasn't neccessary to have clearance. Ah good times.

K

Comment

Reality is, if you get a job employed directly by the department, they will most likely do the clearance as per the rules. However, 90% or more of roles are through prime contractors, and they won't unless you're going for a permie role. Given that the management overhead is exactly the same, and the cost is covered in their tender for the work as a discrete line item, this is more down to BigCo laziness than any desire for a more secure workforce. Let's face it, I've been SC'd four times in 11 years - just how stupid is that anyway - and I still can't get work on programmes I actually set up 5 years ago.

Also, if you talk to the end-user departments, they are crying out for staff and can't find them: with 45% of all contracts limited to 5% of all contractors, it's not surprising.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Also, if you talk to the end-user departments, they are crying out for staff and can't find them: with 45% of all contracts limited to 5% of all contractors, it's not surprising.
        It's a fairly cushy one, it has to be said.

Last contract was through the prime contractor, who put everyone through the clearance process. This one is direct to the client (albeit through an agancy) but they clear people in 3 days if they need it...
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I have current SC clearance. What is other people's experience of having it renewed when it expires. If you're in an SC contract are the clients usually quite happy to do it for you? Is it much faster than the initial application?

Cheers....
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
            I have current SC clearance. What is other people's experience of having it renewed when it expires. If you're in an SC contract are the clients usually quite happy to do it for you? Is it much faster than the initial application?

Cheers....
            Allow three months for them to process the renewal - it should be faster, but in all reality it probably isn't.

If you're in an SC contract, then they should be OK with renewing it for you - I've never had it renewed, though, as it expires a year after you leave a role that requires clearance.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X