• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Options for permie's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misys used to (still do) a share-save scheme.

You front up so much cash a month then at the end of 3, 5 or 7 years you can buy shares at what was a discount price at the beginning of your term. Or you can have the money if the shares have tanked.

It kept a lot of people in the company through the late 90's/early 00's as they didn't want to give up there options. At the height of the tech boom, the first 7 year plan matured - quite a few folk retired off the back of it with very hefty sums of cash (20p option price, 1300p sale price)

I started too late for it to be worthwhile me holding onto my options so I left. I've since made about 10X as much as the shares would have made me...

You pays your money, and you takes your choice...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Misys used to (still do) a share-save scheme.

There's a very big difference between a share scheme in a currently listed company and one in an unlisted company. If that latter doesn't get to a listing the options are completely worthless.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
        If that latter doesn't get to a listing the options are completely worthless.
        Not necessarily - I wouldn't class the shares in my business as worthless, but they aren't going to be listed.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Handsfree - the calculation should be quite simple:

1) Work out how much the options are worth (or might be worth), realistically, at exercise time, and hence how much profit you are likely to make.

2) Work out how long contracting it would take you to save up that same amount of money.

I believe you'll find that you can earn/save a lot more by contracting, assuming you are in a marketable skillset.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
            Handsfree - the calculation should be quite simple:

1) Work out how much the options are worth (or might be worth), realistically, at exercise time, and hence how much profit you are likely to make.

2) Work out how long contracting it would take you to save up that same amount of money.

I believe you'll find that you can earn/save a lot more by contracting, assuming you are in a marketable skillset.

^^^What he said
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Not necessarily - I wouldn't class the shares in my business as worthless, but they aren't going to be listed.
              shares and options are completely different things.

If a company doesn't go for a listing, options ARE completely worthless.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
                shares and options are completely different things.

If a company doesn't go for a listing, options ARE completely worthless.

tim
                I'll still disagree. Options in a company which then sells on to a VC can be worth quite a lot, providing you exercise them before you lose them and before the sale.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                X