• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Rebate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Rebate

I have a tax rebate shown on my payslip this month. This is because for the first 3 months of the year I've been working under a brolly.

Now the accountant told me to take the money out from the company bank account. I'm a bit confused, should I do this? Because that means the company is paying me money that should really come from HMRC. Does that mean at the end of the year the corporation tax is offset by my tax rebate?

Originally posted by vhadiant View Post
    I have a tax rebate shown on my payslip this month. This is because for the first 3 months of the year I've been working under a brolly.

Now the accountant told me to take the money out from the company bank account. I'm a bit confused, should I do this? Because that means the company is paying me money that should really come from HMRC. Does that mean at the end of the year the corporation tax is offset by my tax rebate?
    Presumably, your accountant is calculating your PAYE, which is designed to ensure that over the course of the tax year you pay the "correct" amount of tax for the salary that you have been paid, and so don't have to trouble HMRC for the refund. So it is plausible.

Usual disclaimer, IANAA, so check with yours!

Comment

You owe a certain amount of tax. If you've overpaid that tax, your employer can make the deductions during the payroll run, until your actual tax liability is met.

Or, you can do your tax return, and wait for the payment from the tax man. I'd do the former myself, but each to their own.

btw - if you don't trust your accountant - get a new one.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by vhadiant View Post

Yes, take the money out.

I had this when I went from perm to min wage. Just pay yourself the money. If you are still "in credit" at the end of the year i.e. your still getting rebates back from HMRC then you need to fill in a form to get the money back.

Comment

You are paying for expert advice and guidance. Either listen to it, or find someone who's advice you believe and trust.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The money should come from your company - every year your company has to send information to HMRC giving a summary of how much it paid you, and how much tax/NI it paid the government. The tax rebate comes out of this total (and if there is a tax overpayment, your company will get a cheque for the difference, plus interest, back from HMRC in July/August of next year).
            Plan A is located just about here.
            If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Originally posted by XLMonkey View Post
              The money should come from your company - every year your company has to send information to HMRC giving a summary of how much it paid you, and how much tax/NI it paid the government. The tax rebate comes out of this total (and if there is a tax overpayment, your company will get a cheque for the difference, plus interest, back from HMRC in July/August of next year).
              Right thanks for clearing this up.

Comment

Working...
              X