• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting a Ltd company and avoiding IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting a Ltd company and avoiding IR35

I recently spoke to an accountant and discovered that avoiding IR35 is as simple as having 2 income streams into your Ltd company and that my current set up completely avoids it!

Is this true? How have others dealt with this? Do the income streams have to be related?

Originally posted by NJBrearley View Post
    I recently spoke to an accountant and discovered that avoiding IR35 is as simple as having 2 income streams into your Ltd company and that my current set up completely avoids it!

Is this true? How have others dealt with this? Do the income streams have to be related?
    Ermm - I hope you're not paying him for advice. Now go ask an accountant what knows that they're talking about.

IR35 is on a per-contract basis; how many concurrent ones you have doesn't matter.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

What Mal said.

You can have 1 contract that is inside IR35 and another that is outside.

Next.
      Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Ok quick read on IR35 says that this is relevant and does avoid it:

Factors to Consider

The IR will consider the whole picture but some factors can be:
        What is the client’s business?

Is there any form of contract?

Is the contractor at financial risk in the project?

Is the contractor working exclusively only for one client?

Comment

Originally posted by NJBrearley View Post

No, it's not true. You can have multiple streams, some inside IR35 and some outside.

Get a better accountant.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Fair enough,

Could you give me an example of where that may be the case.

P.s It's probably not the accountants fault, it may be the way I interpreted what he was saying. It was a free consultation anyway.

Comment

You need to understand what IR35 is and how it relates to your company and its contracts. And get a new accountant - one that understands the contractor market because IR35 relates to the contract not the business. You could have 5 contracts on the go - one for each day of the week and still be completely inside IR35. You can PM me if you want more info.

Comment

A contract can be written to fall outside IR35, but if you are investigated and reality doesn't match your contract, you will be in trouble

Comment

Ir35

I find it very difficult to believe that an accountant would say this.

Usual knee jerk "Get a new accountant" cry

Sometimes what people are told is different to what they hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason D View Post
                    I find it very difficult to believe that an accountant would say this.

Usual knee jerk "Get a new accountant" cry

Sometimes what people are told is different to what they hear.
                    I don't.

I find it very difficult to believe that a competent accountant would say this.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X