• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non-domicile

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-domicile

Has anyone successfully become non-domiciled?

From reading the newspapers it would seem that it's very easy to do. I do have non-UK connections, my wife is born overseas, we own a property there, I was also born in overseas (different country to her).

Work is, and would remain, for a UK client, but could set up an offshore company as needed.

I don't pay that much tax as it is, but see no reason not to reduce it further.

Can anyone recommend lawyers/accountants ?

Currently

You just fill out a form available on the inland revenue website promising that you intend to move back to your domicile at some point (could be in a box).
    I don't think you can be a British citizen and claim non-dom status, however.

Tories proposal in the unlikely event that they ever get re-elected is that all non-doms will have to pay a flat rate of £25k tax per year to claim that status. That's obviously to prevent an increasing number of oiks benefiting from the tax loophole whilst letting their billionaire mates carry on regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by mace View Post
      You just fill out a form available on the inland revenue website promising that you intend to move back to your domicile at some point (could be in a box).

Tories proposal in the unlikely event that they ever get re-elected is that all non-doms will have to pay a flat rate of £25k tax per year to claim that status. That's obviously to prevent an increasing number of oiks benefiting from the tax loophole whilst letting their billionaire mates carry on regardless.
      What about dual citizenship?

Comment

Originally posted by mace View Post

Yes you can. I'm a non-domiciled British Citizen. They are separate things.

Charging £25K a year doesn't make any sense, you often don't have too much choice about your domicile and £25K would wipe out the average person who happened to have a foreign Dad.

Comment

I though you had to be out of UK for 4 years before you became non-resident.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

Charging £25K a year doesn't make any sense, you often don't have too much choice about your domicile and £25K would wipe out the average person who happened to have a foreign Dad.
            Yes.. it'll be interesting to see how they plan to make actually work.

Hopefully NL don't try to out do them.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
              I though you had to be out of UK for 4 years before you became non-resident.
              Different thing. There's tax resident, ordinarily resident, and domicile.

Comment

Any income earned in the UK is liable to UK tax irrespective of your domicile ...

As a contractor, setting up and operating with an offshore company may not be possible option ...

Declaring a non-domicile will help only if you have substantial income in low tax countries. If you are paying tax in the other country on your assets/income, then you may use the double taxation agreements between UK and the other country to avoid paying tax twice ..

My few cents ..

Originally posted by dude69 View Post
                Has anyone successfully become non-domiciled?

From reading the newspapers it would seem that it's very easy to do. I do have non-UK connections, my wife is born overseas, we own a property there, I was also born in overseas (different country to her).

Work is, and would remain, for a UK client, but could set up an offshore company as needed.

I don't pay that much tax as it is, but see no reason not to reduce it further.

Can anyone recommend lawyers/accountants ?

Comment

Originally posted by sathyaram_s View Post
                  As a contractor, setting up and operating with an offshore company may not be possible option ...
                  Yes...normal agencies only happy with on shore ltd companies(eng/wales for london).

Originally posted by sathyaram_s View Post
                  Declaring a non-domicile will help only if you have substantial income in low tax countries.
                  Low tax: some places don't levy any tax on interest(eg: jersey), others on corporate tax(eg: cayman), or capital gains(eg: NZ).

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

You may not have a choice about your domicile (though the earlier posts suggest that you do), but a person does have a choice to opt to be taxed as a non-dom.

Anyone who doesn't want to pay the 25K has a simple alternative - declare all of their overseas income in the UK and pay tax on it. Oddly, this is exactly the option that they would have if they lived permanently in any country other than the UK.

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X