• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

P35 Penalty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P35 Penalty

I received a penalty notice from HMRC on Saturday - they seem to think my P35 is still outstanding from the May 19th deadline.

HMRC have very kindly left it 4 months before sending out these notices thus allowing the penalties to reach £400 before there was any hint of a problem ( ie £100 per month and counting ). This is nothing more than a money making exercise I'm sure.

However, as the P35 WAS filed online by my accountant I'm in the clear and not overly concerned - he can sort it all out.

Doing a bit of surfing I note that similar erroneous penalty notices have been issued in previous years and on one accountancy website there is an entry from an account who has exactly my problem this year. He writes that when he rang HMRC's helpline at the end of last week that they knew nothing of the latest problem but did say that the phones had been particularly busy

Im just curious to know how many others on this forum have been hit by the latest HMRC error?

Thanks

I received one this morning for my company which was dissolved (with HMRC approval of course) in mid 2006.

Comment

It seems a "computer glitch" caused 175,000 erroneous penalty notices to sent out.

As far as I can gather it affected anyone who was unlucky enough to file online on May 17th only.

Funnily enough HMRC have cancelled my penalty notice.

ho-hum

Comment

My company ceased to trade in Jan 2006 and was dissolved later that year, yet I also received one of these Penalty Determination Notices. It was exactly the same, i.e. May 19th and £400.

I can't believe HMRC have made such a huge mistake! I did write them a nice letter though to ask them to re-check their details....

Comment

Working...
        X