• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in Europe

Hi,

looking for my first contract and have already been contacted by agencies with contracts in Switzerland, Belgium and France!!!

I have looked through the Overseas Guide on the main site but i am non the wiser. Can someone with some knowledge just some up the tax implications?

I have setup up a limited company but one of the guides said it might not be a good idea to use it.

I am saying to the agents that my rate needs to be at least 600 euro as i can get similar rates in London without the travel. SO far all but one agency have been put off by this. I haven't a clue what the overheads are likely to be so i picked a high number!

Cheers

R

For working in France and Germany, you'll find the rates (depending on skill) are typically lower than the UK, especially London. Overheads are typically lower.

You tax situation depends largely on the country, and the length of the contract.

Switzerland is a terrible place to work. Please don't come here. I don't want the competition.

NotAllThere
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

hi,

well at the moment there's an opportunity in Paris. Would it make a difference tax-wise if it was 3 months or 6 months?

Can you also tell me how you have set yourself up to work in Switzerland?

Cheers

R

Comment

The difference is whether you are resident or not for tax purposes in the UK and/or France. 3 months or 6 months is unlikely to make you resident in France or non-resident in the UK. Look at the HMRC for information about residency.

To work in Switzerland you'll most likely work for a Swiss brolly.

NotAllThere
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
        X