• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HELP!!! New to contracting, desperately need advice about the Opt-out form?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sign it if you want the contract and it keeps them happy. They've got no chance of enforcing it in my opinion. You'll probably never need to use the regs in any case. Try to get them (in a subtle underhand manner) to get them to write to you about these conditions because phone calls aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Comment

To my mind, if you turn up on Monday without signing the opt-out then you are by default opted-in. If the agency and umbrella are in cahoots then you can threaten to use a different one (umbrella).

The EB regulations were put there to protect temps from this sort of behaivor and it is wrong for the agency to pressure you in this way.

One of the key point of the EB regs is that they cannot withhold payment for work done, regardless of whether they get paid. This would mean that they cannot refuse to pay you unless you use their brolly.

The othe main point is that by not opting out they cannot restrict you subsequently working direct for the client (after about 8 weeks) so by putting pressure on you to sign the form they are protecting their investment. Again this (IMO) is what the regs are to protect you from.

I would sign the contract (assuming there's nothing conditional in it) and turn up on Monday without signing the opt out form.

First thing to do now is to name and shame the agency so that others can beware.

Second is to get youself to the nearest watering hole and start celebrating.

HTH

Comment

Depends on exactly what "introduced to the client" means, there is some debate on that and the regs themselves are not explicit (but then they're so badly written even the opt out is not clear!)

Anyway I've dropped Diamond768 a PM, siggesting a route which might help things along...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond786
          Funny you ask, yes the agency recommended and put me in touch with the Umbrella, and the Umbrella even has an Account Manager for the agency (who is supposed to be calling me after my stating I was already opted in).

I am supposed to start with the company on Mon, have not yet signed the contract, seems they have struggled to find someone to fit the bill and the end client were def keen on having me.. plus I have been on-site for a 2 hour handover already...

Should I just sign the contract and opt-out via email? or form? (but then again this signature wouldnt even be valid) so what difference would it make now???

I wanna go out and celebrate.. Great company, nice job.. long term prospects defo... BUT IM INDOORS... Boggling my mind....
          Diamond - if you're just looking to do go contracting short term via the umbrella and hoping that it'll turn into a permanent gig I wouldn't worry about it.

The opt-in/opt-out thing probably won't affect you too much and as people have pointed out already, there's a strong chance that even if you do sign the opt-out forms it doesn't count legally as you've already met the client.

If you kick up a fuss there's a chance they could ditch you and pick someone else (as AntiChrist said).

If I were you, I'd sign the contract and turn up on Monday. Try and avoid signing the opt-out form, but if they really kick up a stink, just sign it.

And most importantly, stop worrying about it and get down the pub to celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by minstrel
            Diamond - if you're just looking to do go contracting short term via the umbrella and hoping that it'll turn into a permanent gig I wouldn't worry about it.

The opt-in/opt-out thing probably won't affect you too much and as people have pointed out already, there's a strong chance that even if you do sign the opt-out forms it doesn't count legally as you've already met the client.

If you kick up a fuss there's a chance they could ditch you and pick someone else (as AntiChrist said).

If I were you, I'd sign the contract and turn up on Monday. Try and avoid signing the opt-out form, but if they really kick up a stink, just sign it.

And most importantly, stop worrying about it and get down the pub to celebrate!
            A note for ALL of you who have helped, im gonna just go along on Mon with my fingers and toes crossed and hope for the best.. If its meant to work out, it will.. A little faith I guess...

But YES!! Im getting ready... and I hope you ALL have an AB FAB weekend

Comment

A helpful thread to a newbie asking advice? I feel dirty....

(Congrats to OP on the gig though )

Comment

Originally posted by Epiphone
                A helpful thread to a newbie asking advice? I feel dirty....
                No, a classic case of someone asking for real advice on a focused subject, as opposed to the more usual "Hi, I'm going contracting, what do I need to do?".

Any bets how long before we get the next of those?
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                  No, a classic case of someone asking for real advice on a focused subject, as opposed to the more usual "Hi, I'm going contracting, what do I need to do?".

Any bets how long before we get the next of those?
                  It'll be Monday.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule
                    It'll be Monday.
                    Erm, nope... Saturday...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/thread19504.html
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                      :sigh
                      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                      X