• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this an expense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this an expense?

Hi,

I went to work at a company's office for a week and stayed in a hotel whilst I was there.

I invoiced the company for the work and the entire cost of the accomodation and the invoice contained a breakdown of the total amount.

So does the accomodation count as an expense or can I just add the total of this invoice to my total earning for the year?

Cheers,

Ian.

Expense like how? If the client paid directly, it's nothing to do with your accounts. Otherwise,

If you paid the original bill yourself, then claimed it back, it's an expense.

If your company paid, it's cost of sales.

Then if you charged your client for it, it's income.

But whichever way you paid and reclaimed it comes off profits, so it is an expense and is tax deductible against CT. Which I assume is what you are asking...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I payed and then showed the bill to the company. My query is whether it counts as an expense at all given that I was re-embursed for the full value?

Comment

Originally posted by IanIan
        I payed and then showed the bill to the company. My query is whether it counts as an expense at all given that I was re-embursed for the full value?
        Of course it is, since YourCo has paid you. If you are finacnially astute enough to recover the money from a third party, that's another matter altogether!
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by IanIan
          paid
          reimbursed
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
          X