• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training - valid expense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training - valid expense?

I've signed up for Prince2 training (foundation and practioner). Cost was £995 + VAT. I have a UK limited company that is vat registered.

1. Can I claim the vat back?
    2. Is the £995 a valid business expense?

My role has altered over the last 12 months from being an SAP Technical Lead to an SAP Technical Project Manager.

Yes to both. Of course it's a business expense: you're doing the training wholly in the interests of your business. (If you were learning cookery or falconry it might be a different story.)

Comment

IINAA but Yes and Yes

Comment

Great, thanks guys.

Comment

Training

Not as clear cut as that.

For owner managed companies, if the skills learned are allowing you to obtain a new form of work (rather than updating existing knowledge) then the costs are disallowed.

Allowable though for employees.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason D

For owner managed companies, if the skills learned are allowing you to obtain a new form of work (rather than updating existing knowledge) then the costs are disallowed.

It would be interesting to argue one way or the other. For example, I did some DBA training this year, and expensed it. I'm not a DBA, and never have been, BUT I did some DBA training many years back with Oracle. So, did I do training that allowed me to obtain a new form of work, or was I just updating existing knowledge?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Jason D

So if you are within IR35, your client should pay for your training?
              God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

I've been doing the PM role for about a year now and my current contract takes me past Xmas so I presume its not new work as such.

But I've never had any formal PM training, just picked it up as I've gone from being a developer to team lead developer through to PM (a long journey). I think the Prince2 methodology will be a big help especially as most of the other PM's already have it (not coming from a development background).

Comment

This year I intend to put myself through CCNP, ITIL, Prince 2 foundation and if I have a bit of time left over maybe some MCP's

If that ain't tax deductable then maybe I'll start a new company in a different field.

I go from desktop support to 3rd line Cisco to project manegement..

It's all IT - I'd like to see some numpty from HMRC try and pick holes over whether a Prince 2 course is relevant to my network support role.

Bring it on.
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On
                    This year I intend to put myself through CCNP, ITIL, Prince 2 foundation and if I have a bit of time left over maybe some MCP's
                    Do you just absorb info like some sort of robot?

Comment

Working...
                    X