• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Making a contract IR35 complaint - selling the benefits to client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a contract IR35 complaint - selling the benefits to client

I am waiting for my client to send me their standard contract which they use for interims (they insist I use theirs). I suspect it will not satisfy all requirements to put this outside of IR35. I intend to try and get this ammended and wondered if anyone can tell me the main benefits that I can sell to the client? I don't want it to sound like its only for my benefit.

Also, if they won't accept the changes, can I supplement this with a carefully worded Terms of Reference doc? (ie scope, objectives, deliverables, working arrangements, equipment etc). Would this hold weight with HMRC?

Many thanks

Tell them that if they sign a properly worded B2B contract outside IR35 there is no way you can ever claim employment rights, however if you sign one of thier temp contracts you could be a deemed employee which you don't want and they definetly don't want.

HTH

Comment

as with all IR35 it's not just about the contract...

if the working practices are inside you're stuffed regardless of what the contract says...
      Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Thanks

If I can't change the contract terms I think I'll go ahead anyway as i want/need this project. If my actual working practices put me outside of IR35 but the contract wording is inside will this override the contract? I have every intention of making sure I operate outside as much as possible once I start.

Comment

Originally posted by achillea
          Thanks

If I can't change the contract terms I think I'll go ahead anyway as i want/need this project. If my actual working practices put me outside of IR35 but the contract wording is inside will this override the contract? I have every intention of making sure I operate outside as much as possible once I start.
          it's a combination of both, but I would guess that if either point to inside, then you're inside by default...
          Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
            it's a combination of both, but I would guess that if either point to inside, then you're inside by default...
            Correct, but you are much less likely to get investigated in the first place if your contract is correctly written. They are not likely to go for people that on the surface appear to be completly compliant when there are lots of people out there who do not look compliant and will be easier to go after.

Comment

Originally posted by achillea
              Thanks

Perhaps get Bauer & Cottrell to negotiate on your behalf? It always looks much more professional and they are used to dealing with intransigent clients/agencies. Well worth the money IMHO.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                Tell them that if they sign a properly worded B2B contract outside IR35 there is no way you can ever claim employment rights, however if you sign one of thier temp contracts you could be a deemed employee which you don't want and they definetly don't want.

HTH
                That's the main benefit - if the contract is correctly worded, then there is no way that you could claim to be an employee, which saves them money. Reference Muscat vs Cable and Wireless which potentially allows contractors to shift the tax burden to the client - if the contract is safe, then you won't be able to do that.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Main benefits are:
                  - no implied employment rights, so no comeback
                  - you are liable for re-work if you muck things up
                  - if there's no work for you to do, they don't have to pay you.

...by the way, were you drunk in Surbiton yesterday...?
                  Plan A is located just about here.
                  If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Working...
                  X