• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investigations - How long should you keep your records?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investigations - How long should you keep your records?

A contractor mate of mine says you only need to keep full records for 3 years - this seems a bit low to me. Can anyone advise?
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

I've always worked on 6 years for personal and company records, but I haven't checked lately, they may have reduced the requirement.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

http://www.cipd.co.uk/subjects/hrpra...retrecords.htm
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Well there you go. Thanks.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect
          A contractor mate of mine says you only need to keep full records for 3 years - this seems a bit low to me. Can anyone advise?
          In terms of IR investigations it's 6 years. But if they discover fraud they can then go back 20 years. If you don't have those records it may be difficult to counter any allegations that are made.

Comment

Thanks All. ASB - Moscow's link above seems to contradict what you've said; were you referring to something else?

Cheers,

Rup.
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

No I was referring to the context of an IR investigation. See here:
              http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/sabk4.htm#a2

Moscows link defines a 3 year period - but for a different purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect

Until you have your first fire or flood.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
                  No I was referring to the context of an IR investigation. See here:
                  http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/sabk4.htm#a2

Moscows link defines a 3 year period - but for a different purpose.
                  Ah OK. Thanks. Will go with the 6 year period then.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                  X