• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interest on Bank Accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest on Bank Accounts

Right, heres the plan of action.

Seeing as corp tax isnt due to the tax man for another year or maybe more, im thinking of putting the corp tax that is due every month into a savings account with an interest rate of 5.4 - 5.75%.

Heres the big one, say i made £100 from interest after 3 months or whatever (ball point figure) do i need to import that £100 gained from interest into the business account and subject it to 19% corp tax?
    Keep it clean!!!

it is subject to corp tax...
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

what the foook man
      Keep it clean!!!

Comment

Interest accrued through the investment of company funds is counted as profit and therefore subject to CT.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

A better idea, in my opinion, is to pay your corp tax early. The HMRC pay interest on it. I did and got a cheque from them soon after the due date. Although I haven't figured out exactly what the percentage is, according to a friend of mine who does the same it's much better than you'd get in a business savings/reserve account.

Edit: Just looked it up. It's 5% at the moment.
          Last edited by oraclesmith; 7 March 2007, 12:22.
          It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

"A better idea, in my opinion, is to pay your corp tax early. The HMRC pay interest on it. I did and got a cheque from them soon after the due date. Although I haven't figured out exactly what the percentage is, according to a friend of mine who does the same it's much better than you'd get in a business savings/reserve account."

Don't forget you have to pay CT on the 5% interest you recieve as well !

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
              A better idea, in my opinion, is to pay your corp tax early. The HMRC pay interest on it. I did and got a cheque from them soon after the due date. Although I haven't figured out exactly what the percentage is, according to a friend of mine who does the same it's much better than you'd get in a business savings/reserve account.

Edit: Just looked it up. It's 5% at the moment.
              As far as I know, you can wait up to 9 months after your tax year end to pay CT.
              Does the HMRC also pay you interests for this period?

Comment

it's set @ 0.25% below base rate

Comment

what if i just spend the money reserved for Corp tax and then just put it back into the buisiness account when its due....?
                  Keep it clean!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maxamus
                    what if i just spend the money reserved for Corp tax and then just put it back into the buisiness account when its due....?
                    how are you "spending it" ?, don't forget it's the companies money so has to show up on the books - you can spend it but if the expenditure ends up as BIK then you get taxed on it even more and still have to put it back !

You could pay it out as a divi and then repay it later I suppose...

Comment

Working...
                    X