• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quick Question re PAYE via your PSC if Inside IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Question re PAYE via your PSC if Inside IR35

If you're Inside and the invoices are paid into your PSC, are the PAYE rules such that you must pay out the full amount each pay period, or are you able to pay minimum wage each month and then a bonus in the final pay period for whatever is left?

I understand you can't split the income over tax years but, if all money received in has been paid out via PAYE within the tax year, is such a pay/bonus option feasible?

Why are you using your PSC rather than an umbrella? Much easier.

Are you being paid like this now? Very few clients and agents will allow payments to a PSC as there is some responsibility back on the payer if you don't pay your tax.

If you've got a PSC do you not have an accountant?

Google 'Deemed Payment' it's all there.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks, all I found on the deemed payment from my search was what I understood to be old rules (i.e. with the 5% discount) or information about ensuing the Employers NIC, Income Tax and NIC were all paid - I didn't see anything specifically about the timing of such payments.

To answer your questions:

1) My brolly (PayStream) are annoying me and I'd rather do the admin myself than deal with them tbh
      2) No, and I understand it'd be difficult to implement. Trying to work out if the hassle of attempting to do > benefits
      3) I don't currently have a PSC but thinking out loud about setting one up to act as my brolly, so I can control things.

Comment

Just don't - most firms will refuse to do deemed payments and it screws up your pension options...

also I'm at a loss as to what an umbrella can do wrong - 99% of the time the issue isn't at the umbrella it's going to be with the agency (with the agency claiming it's all the umbrella's fault).
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

"...and it screws up your pension options..."

Can't the Ltd just pay these direct to the SIPP?

Comment

Originally posted by DrStrange View Post
            "...and it screws up your pension options..."

Can't the Ltd just pay these direct to the SIPP?
            Yep - but you've lost the employer and employee NI (which has already been deducted) and would need to claim back the income tax deduction in your year end tax return.

So your pension contribution will be 15.8% less than from an umbrella...

Comment

Ah

I thought it'd still count as an "Employer Contribution"

Thanks folks

Comment

if all money received in has been paid out via PAYE within the tax year, is such a pay/bonus option feasible?
                No, you are confused. Under Chapter 10, in the completely implausible scenario that the Fee Payer agrees to pay your PSC rather than an Umbrella, the Fee Payer makes a deemed direct payment to your PSC, i.e., net of all employment taxes. Your PSC is then free to distribute the amount received without any further deduction of tax because it has already suffered all employment taxes. There is no scenario in which your PSC receives the gross amount under Chapter 10, that only happens under Chapter 8. As an aside, the 5% expenses allowance disappeared long ago.

Comment

The idea was the PSC is an Umbrella (albeit a budget, one-man, unaccredited one)

I get how implausible this would ordinarily be, however its a special case and I have leeway which is what led to the thought.

Comment

The idea was the PSC is an Umbrella (albeit a budget, one-man, unaccredited one)

I get how implausible this would ordinarily be, however its a special case and I have leeway which is what led to the thought.
                    Can't be done - you don't have the leeway there....

Comment

Working...
                    X