• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd Company - Personal/Business account expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Use the Avios for business flights and there's no minefield to be had. It's actually more awkward to take the cash off your balance.

But it's a very good point - I keep hearing ads on the radio for the Amex Business Card and their strap line is: "the card is for business, the points are for pleasure" making it very clear that the points earned can be used for personal, rather than business, expenses. My understanding is that this behaviour would create a BIK that needed reporting.

I seem to recall reading years ago somewhere (might have been here, might have been on AccountingWeb, might have been on the HMRC site) that as long as the benefit was "minimal" then there is no BIK but there's line there somewhere that is a bit subjective.
    I think Capital on Tap is a bit more convoluted than Amex MR points.

AFAIK MR points accrue at a card holder rather than corporate level, whereas the Capital on Tap ones are at the company level

On the paid for card, Capital on Tap points can be used for cashback, gift cards or swapped to Avios and there was a discussion about the tax implications of this on Head for Points a while back — it was along the lines of “as the points have value for the company can you really use them tax free to give an employee a benefit”

Comment

Working...
    X