• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Closing off PAYE and CT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing off PAYE and CT

Hi all,

I need some help. I haven't contracted in a few years but still have had my limited company active.

I'm trying to make my company dormant and I need to close off the PAYE scheme by submitting a final submission which I have no idea how to do and I need to submit CT for 2022-2023 (there are few transactions here, I still paid some salaries to wife and dividends).
    ​​
    My wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer (she is also a director) and I've received some fines which I've been able to appeal successfully but really just need to handle these last bits so I only need to do filing once a year.

Can anyone recommend some services for these one off tasks? A lot of companies are quoting me for full accounts etc which goes £300+ which I can't afford and is not the service I need.

Thanks

To file a CT return you'll need to also prepare accounts to accompany them. An accountant doing that, as well as formally closing your PAYE scheme, for anywhere near £300 is a bargain TBH.

You can attempt to DIY these. PAYE scheme cessation you may be able to sort with a phone call to the PAYE dept. Hopefully they can simply mark it as closed their end, though it seems pot luck whether they will, or insist on you/an accountant submitting an FPS.

Accounts/CT, again theoretically you can DIY, but if you're not savvy it won't be straight forward/risk you'll make a hash of it.

Is there any reason you don't want to close your company down completely? If you really wanted to avoid paying professional fees, and were happy that HMRC (as well as any other possible company creditors) have been paid all they're due, then maybe just submit a DS01 to apply for the company to be struck off. Ideally you would still close off the PAYE scheme formally and submit CT return, but if neither would show a liability, in practice negligible harm if you didn't bother.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I have considered closing the company but that is also associated with really high fees. I am also hoping to get back into contracting if I can find something.

I think I will try the DIY route first and hopefully HMRC can just close off the PAYE scheme for me which will be a lot easier.

​​​​​Thanks for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
        You can attempt to DIY these. PAYE scheme cessation you may be able to sort with a phone call to the PAYE dept. Hopefully they can simply mark it as closed their end, though it seems pot luck whether they will, or insist on you/an accountant submitting an FPS.
        I closed off MyCo's PAYE & VAT myself last year, I just followed the HMRC guides. The PAYE I did via BPT as far as I can recall.

Comment

Working...
        X