• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella / Overseas Expense Claims

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella / Overseas Expense Claims

Apologies if this has been asked before...

So today I received a call from my brolly asking about working practices. They seemed exceptionally nervous about the fact I was working regularly in Munich (I have been asked by End Client to travel 1 week in four Monday to Friday to work there) and had so far submitted 3 expense claims for 2023 for business trips (Hotel / Travel / Sustinance) there.

They stated 2 problems they had:

1. That they worry that I would be dual-taxed by Germany because of the regularity of my visits (they even stated that locations such as Portugal would be fine!). I thought this was only a problem if you go over a certain number of days and travel days weren't included, so for me 36 days in Germany didn't come close.
    2. That HMRC would see I was visiting Germany regularly and would attempt to claw back the Tax on the expense claims.

I think with retrospect they were more nervous for themselves not me. They do my PAYE and obviously business expenses are not on my personal tax return so enquiries would be (at least initially) through them. They also stated if I could prove I was a “multi-site” worker (which I did explain I also had trips to Hungary and the US planned) then this may help.

They stated they had no experience in Dual-Taxation like other agencies.

Their final statement was “We’ll agree to allow these expense claims for now but we are not sure about them in the future, we will need you to find another brolly if you continue to visit Munich on a regular basis”.

Does anyone else have any experience of this? If I change agency, will it likely be that they too will be nervious? I have limited scope of which brollies to choose due to the agency's preferred list...

As a brolly customer you're their employee. When I was an employee I was sent all over the world by my employer. I don't really understand what the issue could be. Unless there's something to do with it being the client that's sending you rather than your employer?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
    X