• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Woes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency Woes

I started my first inside IR35 gig in December after 10 years outside of IR35. It has been nothing but pain full. The agency that originally found me gets it work farmed to it by another agency that holds the contract with the client. There is also another 3rd party which provides all the payroll services. Although I have been working on site since December and I still don't have a physical contract and I have not signed any agreement. As part of this inside IR35 role I lose part of my day rate for holidays as well as pension that is supposed to kick in after week 12 from my first pay check. So have been chasing all parties to get a contract and get the payments started on my pension but no one is replying back to me, which as you can imagine is v. annoying. It's getting so frustrating now that I have updated my CV and starting to look to jump ship. Has anyone else been in this position and found a successful conclusion ??

Originally posted by Misterfox View Post
    I started my first inside IR35 gig in December after 10 years outside of IR35. It has been nothing but pain full. The agency that originally found me gets it work farmed to it by another agency that holds the contract with the client. There is also another 3rd party which provides all the payroll services.
    Seen this before and it rarely works well.
    Although I have been working on site since December and I still don't have a physical contract and I have not signed any agreement.
    I'm sorry but what???? Why on earth did you do that? Don't with to be rude but anything else you are going to complain about after that statement is your own fault. Can't blame them if you can't even do what you are properly. Clue is in the title CONTRACTor.
    As part of this inside IR35 role I lose part of my day rate for holidays as well as pension that is supposed to kick in after week 12 from my first pay check. So have been chasing all parties to get a contract and get the payments started on my pension but no one is replying back to me, which as you can imagine is v. annoying. It's getting so frustrating now that I have updated my CV and starting to look to jump ship. Has anyone else been in this position and found a successful conclusion ??
    I'm not sure there will be many in the same position. Most people wouldn't have started until they got it sorted and I bet it would have appeared very quickly as the agents commission is on the line if there are delays. Now you are in and the agent is happily lining their pocket they won't be too eager to spend time helping you.
    Best thing to do is to threaten their margin again. Tell them you are going to leave if it doesn't appear, and mean it. They'll sit up quick if they are about to lose their commission and expose their inability to action this to the client.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

To echo NLUK - as a contractor of 10 years, what made you think that any job (inside or out) should be started without a contract?

The deduction for holidays is normal and you have to keep an eye on that and make sure you claim it within the rules of the umbrella/agency (whoever is paying you). That'll be in your contract...

I presume you are actually being paid?

Comment

Yep - no contract=no work.

Have you been paid anything? If not, cut your losses and walk away right now.

Comment

Yes, getting the timesheets approved and getting paid each week.

Comment

Not sure why you've started without a contract - running at risk for a few days I might understand but more than that has got to ring alarm bells!

Once you do have it, ensure that your agreed (full rate) is in your contract, and that no part of it allows the payroll company to deduct employer's NI and AL.

Comment

Working...
            X